Author Topic: N900KN trouble call edited - 6.75 min  (Read 17579 times)

Offline airmaneric

N900KN trouble call edited - 6.75 min
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:44:05 AM »
Source LiveATC, Atlanta Center

Problem appears to have occurred around North Wilksboro, NC near the NC/VA border.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Re: N900KN trouble call edited - 6.75 min
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »
"..we have an indication that is not correct in the plane..."
"...we need to get lower..."

He did stress that this was a significant situation, however never actually declared an emergency...

I don't feel he conveyed enough information about his situation to the controller. I am not a pilot, but if I saw a possible pressurization issue with my aircraft, I would want to be below 10,000 as soon as possible... 

Offline jbadger10

Re: N900KN trouble call edited - 6.75 min
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
"..we have an indication that is not correct in the plane..."
"...we need to get lower..."

He did stress that this was a significant situation, however never actually declared an emergency...

I don't feel he conveyed enough information about his situation to the controller. I am not a pilot, but if I saw a possible pressurization issue with my aircraft, I would want to be below 10,000 as soon as possible... 

I know it's wrong to play armchair quarterback on this, but I agree with you. I am not a pilot (although I wish I were!) but to me, common sense indicates that even if you sense there is something wrong, you don't even hesitate and play the safe move by declaring an emergency and rapid decent to 10,000. I'm assuming he had logged a lot of flight hours (maybe not in that aircraft since it was relatively new), but even still - he would be able to tell when something was wrong...which he did. He advised the controller that there was something wrong, but it caused no sense of urgency in the controllers actions - he followed protocol and made sure it was safe to get him lower. Had the pilot declared an emergency, he likely would have cleared the way for him to get down asap vs. waiting and letting hypoxia set in.  Again, I am not trying to say who is right and who is wrong. Nor am I holding myself out as knowing what I am talking about! I am just giving my opinion. What happened is horrible and my thoughts and prayers are with the victims families and friends.