Author Topic: N6913Z Malibu Crash in Roanoke  (Read 16684 times)

Offline Rick108

N6913Z Malibu Crash in Roanoke
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:15:44 PM »
This just happened a couple of hours ago, at my home airport.  Both the pilot and pax survived the crash and fire. From the audio, the first thing I thought of is that the pilot somehow forgot to remove the gust lock and took off with the controls locked...  See what you think.

As it turned out, LifeGuard 10 checked in shortly after the crash, on its way to a local hospital.  You can hear the tower try to get his help...

Offline joshuagjacobs

Re: N6913Z Malibu Crash in Roanoke
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
Always amazed how quick some of these recordings make it on the site.  Hope both individuals are ok.  You can definitely hear him say the controls are locked.

Side note, was doing a search for N6913Z to see what type of airplane it was and it showed up in a loss of control accident in November 08.  Similar wind conditions to today.  http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20081121X54740&key=1

Edit: Appears 11/08 incident was at different airport, so while winds were similar, depending on the runway layout, it could be very similar to today or very different.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:08:22 PM by joshuagjacobs »

Offline dmr003

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »
Can anyone make out what they are saying? Having a hard time deciphering what the pilots are saying...

Any transcripts?

Offline ChristopherT

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »
He said he "had a problem...the control wheel was locked."

ChristopherT

Offline stocker_dg

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »
Unfortunately, the pilot passed away a few hours after the crash.  He was apparently the aircraft owner, and an architect in Charlottesville, VA.

The passenger is the manager of the Landmark FBO at KCHO.  He exited the aircraft on his own, however he remains hospitalized in serious condition.

The media is incorrectly reporting that the aircraft departed RWY33 at KROA, but as per this ATC recording he was cleared for take-off on RWY24.

Weather at the time was clear, with winds WNW approx 17G25.

More here:
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/241735

Very sad.

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
Very sad to hear. I just wonder where the control lock is on the Malibu? I mean on a C172 it's right on the yoke and very obvious. A flight control check which is usually standard on a before takeoff checklist and would reveal the control lock was in place. Any Malibu experts?

Offline tvont

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:45:58 PM »
From the audio, the first thing I thought of is that the pilot somehow forgot to remove the gust lock and took off with the controls locked...  See what you think.

That's not how Peter flew his plane. You've never or very, very infrequently met a more meticulous pilot. He had tons of hours in that plane (his personal) in all kinds of wx conditions. The a/c was always hangered and I doubt seriously if it even was equipped with a lock. NTSB will get to the bottom since his passenger on the flight was able to go home from the hospital this week, was also a fellow pilot and flew with Peter plenty on that particular a/c.

It sure is spooky hearing Peter's voice on that clip, his last words, wow. He was my best friend on the planet and he sounded completely cool and not the least bit panicked about what was going on. I sure do miss you Peter. See you again when it's my turn and we'll pick up where we left off. Meanwhile, we'll hold your sweet and wonderful family very tightly indeed.

Offline lindenm

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »
I used to own a 1989 Malibu Mirage and there is no internal gust lock, we used use the seat belt tied around the control wheel.  However they may have had some sort of external gust locks.

Offline Windtee

• Windtee™
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 05:18:49 AM »
Tragic. All the best to the surviving family.