Author Topic: N441TG Crashes near FAF for KDTO (36RNAV), Edited to remove space.  (Read 11648 times)

Offline captbrando

This is from last night. I live in Flower Mound and some of our bravest high-tailed it west to try and help. Unfortunately, the single occupant died in the crash.

Offline GULF650

Re: N441TG Crashes near FAF for KDTO (36RNAV), Edited to remove space.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »
was wondering if the full transmission was recorded, i see it has been edited.

Offline martyj19

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »
was wondering if the full transmission was recorded, i see it has been edited.

Usually on this site when people edit they preserve everything between ATC and the aircraft of interest, discarding only dead air and transmissions to other aircraft.
If need be you can always retrieve the full audio archive from http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php if you do it soon because the archives are kept only for 30 days.

Offline frcabot

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 04:50:43 AM »
So he was below 1100 when he should have been at or above 2000? That'll do it.

I wonder if he didn't set the autopilot properly. I have to always double check as if I'm below the glideslope and not on alt hold mode, the plane will continue descending and never intercept the gs.  If you're not paying attention and in IMC, it's an easy way to have problems. Of course now I have TAWS and all that other fancy stuff. Still, he was an experienced pilot so quite surprising. Always stay vigilant.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:43:25 AM by frcabot »

Offline blakepilot

• KDAL LiveATC
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »
I am based at RBD, came back from AUS about the same time of this accident, and flying that evening was pretty challenging.  Very low cigs, gusty north winds, low vis with a rain mist.  All of those environmental factors combined with flying the biggest twin Cessna made makes for a pretty big workload for one person regardless of experience.  Based on the track log on Flightaware and my own experience flying that night, he was solid IMC for at least 30 minutes leading up to the crash.  I was assigned similar altitudes coming back due to DAL and DFW arrivals and departures.  That long in IMC is stressful for any pilot, but then you don't have an extra set of trained eyes to crosscheck everything while managing that big twin Cessna, it wouldn't surprise me that too high of a workload contributed to pilot error.