Author Topic: MD-11 low level go around at JFK  (Read 9494 times)

Offline cessna157

• facebook
MD-11 low level go around at JFK
« on: January 28, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
Found this little video taking from the jumpseat of an MD-11 at 100' had to go around from 31R.

It's a good example of the intensely high workload that exists during the transition into the go around.  This crew did a nice job, especially with such a low level off.  During the go around, tower gave them a heading and altitude, which they both missed as they were still in the transition to climb.  From their callout and the "altitude" call, it sounds like they had either 1500 (standard go around) or 2000 set as their initial altitude.  A nice thing they have which takes some work off of the pilot is the autothrottle (not sure what its exact name is on the mighty dog).

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
Re: MD-11 low level go around at JFK
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »
Found this little video taking from the jumpseat of an MD-11 at 100' had to go around from 31R.

It's a good example of the intensely high workload that exists during the transition into the go around.  This crew did a nice job, especially with such a low level off.  During the go around, tower gave them a heading and altitude, which they both missed as they were still in the transition to climb.  From their callout and the "altitude" call, it sounds like they had either 1500 (standard go around) or 2000 set as their initial altitude.  A nice thing they have which takes some work off of the pilot is the autothrottle (not sure what its exact name is on the mighty dog).

one of my favorite video.  It is autothrottle , the captain pushed TOGA button on 1:25, it is located on top of throttle bars, you can see him clickin it. and also MD-11's autopilot works little differently then other Boeings, when you engage autopilot on MD-11, autothrottle, heading, altitude all engages at once, i dont know it can be engaged alone [except TOGA situation, like on this video], but it's rare they engage autothrottle separatly on MD-11 after takeoffs , but you can disengage autothrottle separately from headings and altitude when you land, disengage buttons are located on side of the throttle bars (where your thumb goes), and you can land with autothrottle on, on MD-11, it automatically retards itself 20' feet above, and disengages [i'm not sure other planes does this]  i think i got a little side tracked bout the topic lol if you think so,  my bad .. 

Offline KASWspotter

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:32 PM »
That was a cool video. I thought it was pretty neat how they seemed to flow through it. They made it look smooth even though there is more to it.

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
That was a cool video. I thought it was pretty neat how they seemed to flow through it. They made it look smooth even though there is more to it.

full video, go around then land on 31L

Offline delta092b

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »
Another Finair video but this time with an Eagle going through an engine during TO.

Is it just me or does the pilot sound out of breath?

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:43:56 PM »
Another Finair video but this time with an Eagle going through an engine during TO.

Is it just me or does the pilot sound out of breath?

I think its just you haaha

Offline CardiacKid

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 01:51:58 AM »

I agree, from the ground it looks all dramatic, but those pilots made it look easy. Great Pilots

Thanks for posting