airtraffic

Author Topic: Maintain Visual...with the boat.  (Read 21747 times)

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Maintain Visual...with the boat.
« on: May 27, 2006, 12:19:47 AM »
A friend of mine was flying into PHL when he heard this on the frequency.  As an avid LiveATC.net listener, he pulled it from the archives and sent it to me.

The local controller cleared an aircraft to land and instructed the pilot to maintain visual separation with a ship under the final.  My friend tells me there is no VASI to the runway and it can be tricky landing, especially with ships in the way.  Here's what the runway looks like:

Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny...enjoy.

Offline PHL Approach

Re: Maintain Visual...with the boat.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 12:31:11 AM »
The Shipping Companies calls PHL to allow time for the ship to pass. When the 17-35 extension happens they will have to close 35 4 times a day for 15 minutes. But lately the Tioga Terminal across the river has been picking up so it might increase. As far as aids, the only thing good ol' 35 has is it's little set of REIL.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:37:21 AM by PHL Approach »

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:36:40 PM »
Do you suppose that the boat captain needs to be advised that the aircraft is maintaining visual separation for this to be legal?   :roll:

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/Chp7/atc0702.html#7-2-1

By the way, I don't believe that JD has announced it offially on this site, but he should be congratulated for succesfully completing his initial ATC training at Oklahoma City this past week.  Time to lose that OKC radar antenna avatar  :lol:.

w0x0f 

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »
By the way, I don't believe that JD has announced it offially on this site, but he should be congratulated for succesfully completing his initial ATC training at Oklahoma City this past week.  Time to lose that OKC radar antenna avatar  :lol:.

w0x0f 

I didn't want to post it publicly without his permission <g> (I've been holding it in since Wednesday), but congratulations, JD!  I hope your first day at the center went well on Friday and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Good 'ol Memphis...

Jason
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 07:48:56 PM by Jason »

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 07:50:53 PM »

w0x0f 

Thanks guys...I guess the pressure's on to get a ZME or MEM feed going.  And as for the avatar w0x0f, I'll bring the camera out next week and get something more befitting.  You guys are too kind. 8-)

By the way, my new initials are JX.... :roll:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 08:20:05 PM by davolijj »

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 09:00:36 PM »
Thanks guys...I guess the pressure's on to get a ZME or MEM feed going.  And as for the avatar w0x0f, I'll bring the camera out next week and get something more befitting.  You guys are too kind. 8-)

By the way, my new initials are JX.... :roll:

...yes, the pressure is on!  :evil: :-P

Sorry, JD...I can't call you JX, I don't know why (old habits die hard).  You'll have to keep both sets of initials for me.  ...or find the guy at ZME with the OI's "JD" and send me his e-mail address so I can pay him off in return for them. :evil:

Regards,
Jason
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 09:06:12 PM by Jason »

Offline digger

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 09:09:57 PM »
Congratulations, JD...er...JX !

:-)

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 09:14:07 PM »
Congrats JX, to bad you didnt get the gig at ZJX. Corny I know  :mrgreen: Congrats though, Im sure you passed with ease and were the most prepared with all that experience. I can imagine you being the guy that always answers all the questions that the instuctor asks.

If you ever get some ZME maps, I would love to see em.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 10:47:51 AM »
And as for the avatar w0x0f, I'll bring the camera out next week and get something more befitting.  You guys are too kind. 8-)

Quote from: davolijj

Now that's more like it! By the end of the year, your son will know the word "FedEx" pretty darn well...heh

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 04:25:52 PM »
By the way, I don't believe that JD has announced it offially on this site, but he should be congratulated for succesfully completing his initial ATC training at Oklahoma City this past week.  Time to lose that OKC radar antenna avatar

Just read this today and I, too, want to extend my very hearty congratulations.   Awesome accomplishment.