Author Topic: Lufthansa LH441 diverted to JFK due to bomb threat  (Read 21273 times)

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:17:20 PM by VictorAtienza94 »

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
Re: Lufthansa LH441 diverted to JFK due to bomb threat
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »
Here's what I was able to get and trim :-) :-)

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:16:42 PM »
Well worked Victor. Thank you.

I have to say there seems to have been a worrying lack of preparedness for an incident of this sort. Surely getting the passengers off the plane quickly as soon as it was safely on the ground was of paramount importance but there is little or no indication that the airport authorities had made any preparations for this or had procedures laid down for all concerned to follow in just such a situation. This is not the first time I've felt uneasy about the way a situation has been handled. I would have hoped exercises involving all interested parties are carried out on a regular basis at all airports across the World to ensure, in so far as humanely possible, everyone follows a pre-ordained action plan.

Offline jdflyer

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 10:59:13 AM »
I have to whole-heartedly second the comments of GeoffSM1.  It looks to me that there was no plan.  Initially the ground controller did not even know where to taxi the plane.  Doesn't seem like a complex problem to me.  Get the plane to a designated isolated area.  Stage some assets there as soon as possible including a stair truck and some buses as well as the fire equipment.

Offline Comfirm31L

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
You guys need to realize that the 380 cannot taxi everywhere at JFK, they're restricted to specific taxiways. On the 22's, there are not many places to put the 380 (Fuel farms, terminals, and regular depts and arrivals). ATC is the middle man between the Port Authority and Lufthansa, Id imagine things were a little hectic.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »
You guys need to realize that the 380 cannot taxi everywhere at JFK, they're restricted to specific taxiways. On the 22's, there are not many places to put the 380 (Fuel farms, terminals, and regular depts and arrivals). ATC is the middle man between the Port Authority and Lufthansa, Id imagine things were a little hectic.

Which is why they didn't use the 22s. They had to shut down ILS for 22R to start up the ILS for 31L, so DLH441 could land there, then had them taxi down to K1, to the approach end of 4L.

BL.

Offline Comfirm31L

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
The 22's stopped for arrivals because all of K was closed and depts were never stopped, only a delay because of wake turbulence and emergency vehicle crossings etc.