Author Topic: LOT 2-B763 near Toronto - Jun19 2009, severe turb./unreliable airspeed  (Read 28349 times)

kea001

A LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 767-300, registration SP-LPA performing flight LO-2 from Chicago O'Hare,IL (USA) to Warsaw (Poland) with 206 passengers and 10 crew, was enroute at FL330 about 9nm eastsoutheast of North Bay about 70 minutes into the flight, when the airplane encountered "severe turbulence at high speed" and started to deviate signficantly from assigned altitude. The crew reported later, that their airspeed had become unreliable and requested to divert to Toronto. During descent towards Toronto the crew reported, that airspeed had returned to be normal and requested to hold to reduce weight. No ambulances were needed. While in the hold and descending, the crew was ordered to stop descent at 16000 feet, the crew was however unable to comply and reported, the airspeed problems had reoccured. The airplane proceeded directly for a safe landing on runway 23 73 minutes after the onset of problems and taxied to a gate.

from Aviation Herald:
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=41b7477b&opt=1
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:22:27 PM by kea001 »

Offline maredzki

• Former KORD Twr/App/Dep Feeder
Good recording.

I got a "diverted" notification from flightaware on this flight and wasn't hoping to find any recordings at all.

Marek

Offline Hellcatus

SP-LPA  short before accident, leaving EPWA (Warsaw, Okęcie Airport), spotted by me.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:18:21 PM by Hellcatus »

Offline LOTPilot16

Great catch!

kea001

Their normal flight path would take them north from Chicago cross Elliot Lake (CYEL). You have to wonder why they had a flight plan that took them through southern ontario.

My guess is the flight plan was filed at a time when the storm front was north of Chicago; they usually leave between 5:00 and 7:00 pm; mostly prior to 6:00 pm CDT. This flight left at 7:55 pm CDT. At any rate, they got stuck having to go through a rather nasty bit of weather which may have caused the problem.

Offline Hellcatus

Kea, I'm going to try to ask some LOT crew members, which I know,  what problem was with that aircraft. I think, that it wasn't so serious problem, because yesterday I spotted SP-LPA during take off from Okęcie Airport.

kea001

CADORS Number: 2009O1179

UPDATE Supplemental information received from T.S.B. Initial Notification [#A09O0117]: The Boeing 767-300 series aircraft (SP-LPA, operated as Polish Airlines flight number LOT2) departed Chicago, O'Hare destined for Warsaw, Poland. In the vicinity of North Bay, Ontario, while cruising at FL330, the aircraft experienced a sudden and uncommanded overspeed condition, stick shaker and illumination of left and right electronic engine control (EEC) caution lights. The aircraft descended to FL280 before the situation was resolved. The aircraft diverted to Toronto (LBPIA) and landed without further incident. The T.S.B. deployed investigators to the site. Note: the class of investigation is being assessed.

Kea, I'm going to try to ask some LOT crew members, which I know,  what problem was with that aircraft. I think, that it wasn't so serious problem, because yesterday I spotted SP-LPA during take off from Okęcie Airport.

That would be...sweet!  :-D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:51:27 PM by kea001 »

Offline redfrontier

I guess that's the good thing of going from those old Soviet/Russian death tubes, to modern Western aircraft, if you can fly those hunks of crap you can fly anything!!!!! POLSKA GORA!!!!

Offline N9IIT

Ironically listening to WBBM-AM online tonight they are talking about NTSB investigating airspeed indication problems on A330's.

Offline LOTPilot16

Kea, I'm going to try to ask some LOT crew members, which I know,  what problem was with that aircraft. I think, that it wasn't so serious problem, because yesterday I spotted SP-LPA during take off from Okęcie Airport.

I read that SP-LPA was flying from KRK to ORD on 6/26 and had to stop at GDN for more fuel. Can you inquire on that?

Offline kondzik

I read that SP-LPA was flying from KRK to ORD on 6/26 and had to stop at GDN for more fuel. Can you inquire on that?

True, KRK runway is too short for 767 fully loaded.

Offline LOTPilot16

True, KRK runway is too short for 767 fully loaded.

The runway at GDN is only 250m longer than at KRK. I've never heard of them having to stop at GDN for fuel before this. They've always been able to make it to ORD from KRK without having to stop for additional fuel.

Offline LOTPilot16

Well LOT5 is inflight right now. They made a stop at WAW before continuing to ORD.

Offline djxs

Awesome recording!  Thank you!

I guess that's the good thing of going from those old Soviet/Russian death tubes, to modern Western aircraft, if you can fly those hunks of crap you can fly anything!!!!! POLSKA GORA!!!!

I still remember my first flight back to Poland on an IL-62.  I can just imagine all the warnings and chaos on the flight deck.:D  I watched a documentary on them a long time ago and remember a Russian pilot saying something along the lines of, "Every approach felt like it was going to be your last."   Not to mention that hideous colour they choose for the flight deck.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:12:19 AM by djxs »

kea001

Offline Mittelos Bioscience

Great poster!! I especially liked the decor (fancy curtains blocking out the sun) and the lascivious look on the guys face...After that champagne they might just pull out some curtains along the seats to get private.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Great poster!! I especially liked the decor (fancy curtains blocking out the sun) and the lascivious look on the guys face...After that champagne they might just pull out some curtains along the seats to get private.

...and look! They actually have food, and a lot of it, on the trays in front of them! FOOD! On an airplane!  :-D   :-D

Offline maredzki

• Former KORD Twr/App/Dep Feeder
Their normal flight path would take them north from Chicago cross Elliot Lake (CYEL). You have to wonder why they had a flight plan that took them through southern ontario.

My guess is the flight plan was filed at a time when the storm front was north of Chicago; they usually leave between 5:00 and 7:00 pm; mostly prior to 6:00 pm CDT. This flight left at 7:55 pm CDT. At any rate, they got stuck having to go through a rather nasty bit of weather which may have caused the problem.

It is odd that they didn't request deviation due to weather. It would have been a grand deviation as the cell was pretty spread. They've must have hit a pretty bad tail wind to show an overspeed caution.