Author Topic: Lost Pilot  (Read 36304 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Lost Pilot
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:52 AM »
this incident would have been much easier for everyone if the tower had a dbrite  or stars.

STARs only help flow control into busy airspace, and you must be instrument CURRENT to really use a STAR appropriately... and knowing how to set or change a squawk code is a rudimentary instrument skill - some how i just don't think he's even close to instrument training

I am pretty sure STARs in this case is the name/acronym of a type of ATC console, not the arrival procedure.

Offline mikec2006

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »
but my 30 second google search on STAR radar consoles didn't turn anything up...

Offline Hollis

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 09:57:05 PM »
As an old D/F operator, it goes something like this:
Pilot requests a 'steer'.
You tell him to transmit continously for 10 or more seconds.
You rotate the antenna until you reach a null point, i.e., no sound.
Verify if a TO or FROM heading between him and your location.
Advise that his bearing is TO or FROM you accordingly.

Not to boast, but I had one occasion where an aircraft was out over the North Atlantic and due to IMC became totally lost. I gave him a steer to my station but wasn't much help since he wasn't headed there and the distance between us was unknown and he couldn't pick up any other stations for a fix. A triangulation was needed for that. Out of nowhere, I came up with the idea to try something. I had him turn TO my location, then turn 90 degrees, fly 5 minutes at a constant airspeed,, do a 180, fly another 5 minutes at the same exact airspeed. Meanwhile, I was taking bearings from his transmissions at precise times as I requested. As a result, by simple triangulation, I was able to tell him almost exactly where he was.

Offline anxietyattack

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »
peter is correct,
stars-standard terminal automation replacement system
it replaced our d-brite in the tower

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »
Wow, the pilot didn't know how to put in a squawk code. I think the CFI should have a little talk with too.