Author Topic: LN3591P makes gear-up landing at PHL  (Read 19400 times)

Offline cptbrw

LN3591P makes gear-up landing at PHL
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:23:09 AM »
LN3591P, a Piper PA-31, made a gear-up landing on RWY 26at KPHL.  The incident occurred at about 6:15AM local time (EST) on Saturday.  The pilot did not report any problems prior to the landing and there were no injuries to the 5 occupants.

Clip is in real time from the point the pilot reports the gear-up landing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:25:04 AM by cptbrw »

Offline vector4traffic

Re: LN3591P makes gear-up landing at PHL
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
Gets points for a safe landing but not advising ATC prior to attempting such a landing is pretty surprising (unless it collapsed on landing).

Offline cptbrw

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »
I thought the same thing.  As far as a gear collapse, it would have had to be a pretty unique collapse to result in such an otherwise normal appearing and safe landing. 

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:24:57 AM »
I thought the same thing.  As far as a gear collapse, it would have had to be a pretty unique collapse to result in such an otherwise normal appearing and safe landing. 
... and it seems likely the pilot would have avoided the embarrassment of bluntly calling it a "gear-up" if the gear had been extended but then collapsed. So we cannot exclude that the impossible has happened to this pilot here... Uh... And with 4pax on board. What a bad day...

Offline speedotann

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:16:58 PM »
Maybe he thought gear was down and no one else on the ground noticed it wasn't.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »
Just speculation.....but I don't think the gear collapsed.....

Offline kbeaubs

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
There's a  couple of pictures on flicr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/runway27r/5191923939/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/runway27r/5192519752/

The picture says 4 out of 5 were injured?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:44:21 PM by kbeaubs »

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »
There's a  couple of pictures on flicr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runway27r/5191923939/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runway27r/5192519752/
The picture says 4 out of 5 were injured?

In the words of Adam Savage: "Well there's your problem!"

I think 4 out of 5 prides were injured

Offline Hollis

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
I think that pilot's comment at initial 'touchdown' was something like"Oh...SH&$!

Offline DaveL

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 05:10:04 PM »
Unless he was using a hand-held it sounds like the pilot stayed in the plane after there was visible smoke.  Pilots: get your passengers *and* yourselves out of - and well clear of - the aircraft immediately after any kind of crash, no matter how benign it looks.

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
at least he remembered the flaps.

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 07:47:08 AM »
And the gear is down... now...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runway27r/5199866828/in/photostream

Plane still looks remarkably good. Seems at least he had a soft landing.
Ok, all prop blades are bent and it's impossible to tell how much the engines suffered... Still, doesn't appear too bad...

Offline StevePeckano

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
Ok Everyone. I was the copilot on this flight. Time to debunk all your crazy comments on here. First off there were five people onboard. NO INJURIES. If you idiots listen to the whole record we even say that their are no passengers hurt. In fact one slept through the whole thing. We had to wake her up so she could walk off the aircraft due to the smooth landing  Next it was due to pilot exhaustion nothing more.  No Gear Failure, No collapse.  To “Dave L” the guy that said "pilots get your passengers and yourselves off the plane" Shut the F**ck up. Maybe that is what you heard in some safety briefing. It was dark when this all happened and a jet was on final right behind us. Last thing  we needed was a jet landing on the same runway and causing a actual crash. Using your head saves lives. Gear up landings should never happen but they do. The moment you say it will never happen to you is when it will.   To all the rest of you. I bet that most aren’t pilots and are lazy wanabes  that have nothing better to do than listen to pilots doing their jobs. Go jac* off and leave us alone.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:21:38 PM »
If you idiots listen to the whole record we even say that their are no passengers hurt.

Shut the F**ck up.

Go jac* off and leave us alone.

I understand your frustration and believe me I'll be the first to say that speculation is never a great thing to post especially on a forum prior to the release factual information, but the tone of your post is definitely off point when compared to the others in this thread.  Many of us here are pilots and instructors with lots of experience.  There are also plenty on this forum that are not, however responding to others with respect and educating those who may have speculated incorrectly I find is far more important than going on the defense.

We all make mistakes at points in our career, we're human.  What's more important is learning from our mistakes and educating others to make sure similar mistakes are mitigated in the future to the greatest extent possible.  That said, I'm glad to hear there were no injuries in this incident and we appreciate your first hand insight on this recording.

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »
Ok Everyone. I was the copilot on this flight. ... Next it was due to pilot exhaustion nothing more. 

Hmmm.  You were the copilot on the flight.  Doesn't that make you part of the crew. Are you blaming this solely on the pilot, when you acknowledge that you were the copilot?  What were your responsibilities as copilot?  I believe one would be to confirm the gear was down.  Who performed the before-landing checklist? Care to take responsibility as a copilot and part of the crew?

Offline Phlux

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
To all the rest of you. I bet that most aren’t pilots and are lazy wanabes  that have nothing better to do than listen to pilots doing their jobs. Go jac* off and leave us alone.

Additionally, not all wannabes are wannabes because they are lazy.  Assuming so is arrogant, and insulting to those you can't fly because of any number of circumstances you probably wouldn't care to hear nor consider.  You should be humbled that people are fascinated with your line of work. 

If we're wrong, by all means set us straight.  However you can leave that attitude at the house.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 12:11:11 AM »
Wasn't this a LIFEGUARD flight as well?

Offline Dave_B

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »
Shut the F**ck up.   To all the rest of you. I bet that most aren’t pilots and are lazy wanabes  that have nothing better to do than listen to pilots doing their jobs. Go jac* off and leave us alone.

Steve, you are getting exactly what you deserve if right after an incident you show up here. If you are the aviator you claim to be, you should know that even those sites where pretty much everyone is a pilot are filled with speculation, crazy hanger-talk, and always a little dose of stupidity. If you are scouring all of these sites "trying to set the record straight", you are going to be one busy boy.

Be thankful that it ended well and chill out.

Offline NEILCM80

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Steve.

Very disappointing,

Like said before accidents / mistakes happen, But having a bad attitude with those on this forum like you have im not suprised it happened.

To say your a co pilot is a little far, id say you were the passenger asleep. 

I think it would have been great that if you had came on here and said how it was you may have been understood and Sympathy for an error may have been recieved.

However i think it is very  irresponsible  to even state anything that happened given you were on it, (according to yourself.)

Offline ridejumpfly

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »
To “Dave L” the guy that said "pilots get your passengers and yourselves off the plane" Shut the F**ck up. Maybe that is what you heard in some safety briefing. It was dark when this all happened and a jet was on final right behind us. Last thing  we needed was a jet landing on the same runway and causing a actual crash. Using your head saves lives.

I understand your frustration but this holds no weight.  As a crew there was an assumption (whether true or not) that it was smoke from friction during the landing.  Using your head should tell you that the smoke could be from something else and that there is a chance of a fire.  Evacuation was the right call.   The aircraft behind on the approach was sent around before the report of smoke was given so that is not a reason to stay onboard, futhermore sitting in a plane that can't move with a plane on final behind isn't really using your head.  What if he had landed and rolled into your plane?  Not very safe in there at that point.  Evacuating the aircraft and getting away would have taken very little time for 5 people.  You had said you didn't evac because of the guy on final so why didn't you communicate that concern to the tower?  Bad judgment was shown here.  At the time you may have thought it was a good call but it wasn't.  I'm sorry it happened to you but that is my take as a previous 121 pilot and current ATC .  Of course if your lifeguard status had something to do with staying onbaord I can understand a little more.  Of course this is all just based on the information I have.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:20:55 PM by ridejumpfly »