airtraffic

Author Topic: LiveATC as an Educational Tool  (Read 14930 times)

Offline RayZor

LiveATC as an Educational Tool
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:22:54 AM »
Hello there guys!  I'm fairly new to these boards, yet in the small amount of time I've been here, LiveATC has been a highly valubale resource in learning all of my radio communication skills (working on my private).  I live in the Raleigh/Durham area (KRDU/KTTA) which is already a feed on this site.

Anway, the reason I posted in the audio clip section is this:  I wonder if we could further LiveATC as an educational tool by possibly tracking/recording specific flights from clearance/del to ground, to tower...and so on...and thus assembling a large array of clips that would provide a real world example of radio communications procedures.  This would be am excellent resource for new pilots.  I know this would be hard because some feeds monitor multiple freqs, but I'm sure we could find several "complete" clips.  Maybe even down the road these clips could be bundled on a cd and sold as some sort of fundraiser, or something like that...

Offline madaroma

Re: LiveATC as an Educational Tool
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 02:25:02 PM »
 :evil: :mrgreen:ok

Offline Tomato

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »
I think this would be a cool idea but very difficult.  Basically somebody would have to actively sit at the scanner, and personally follow the flight.  Maybe some of us can start thinking about doing this when we're at the airport plane spotting.

Another possibility is VATSIM... it's not 'as real' but it's something.  If you become an observer on the controller end, you can tune into different frequencies and follow a flight from DEL to GND to TWR, etc.  Often there aren't a full staff of controllers, but look for the various special events (fly-in) as there are often much more staff there.

Offline RayZor

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 08:25:17 PM »
It would definitely be easier at night, since there would be fewer transmission overlaps (is "stepping" appropriate in this instance).  Now that I have some time, I'll try to do this on the nights I have free.  It would help to track a flight between two fully covered LiveATC airports, such as bos and jfk.  Don't forget to use flightaware.net to help you see what flights are scheduled.  Ditto on the vatsim thing...I'll have to see what I can do there.  Also, speaking of plane spotting, what is it exactly?  Do you go to different airports and listen to the planes you see?     

Offline flyer_d

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 04:41:02 PM »
Or just buy a tape/CD/DVD from the countless aviation shops that sell exactly that -- recordings of communications over the course of a whole flight for training purposes.

Offline RayZor

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 05:44:53 PM »
Yeah but how much do those cost?  Judging by how expensive exam prep materials are, I'd guess they're not cheap.  Also, I didn't even know you could buy stuff like that, though I haven't had much experience buying aviation materials...yet...

Offline flyer_d

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 03:27:53 PM »
Not too much, but I'd gladly lend you my copy of this one:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&Product_ID=3759

It's good, but not great.

A far better resource is this one:

http://www.ipilot.com/shop/product.aspx?pid=17209

This program is more expensive, but it's really great.  I continue to refer to it when I'm planning a flight into a B or C airport and it's been a while.

Also, you're right not to underestimate the value of this site.  If I'm rusty on my radio skills, in the days leading up to a flight to a big airport, I'll find a comparably sized airport live feed and listen to it at work.  Just having it on, and working to get a mental picture of the traffic, gets my mind in the mode and pace needed for good radio skills.

Good luck on your private.  As for buying aviation materials, just get used to having your wallet drained!   :-D

Offline RayZor

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 09:27:59 PM »
You're sure right about the wallet...it's discouraging to look in there and see only a few 1's (Darn rental fees!)  :cry:  Anyway, those cds look like great resources; I might even buy one myself.  Still, it would be great if we could assemble a small collection of these "complete" flights.  In the coming months I will be working on this.  We'll see how it turns out.   
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 09:30:04 PM by RayZor »

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 03:18:17 PM »
A little late, but i finally edited the clips. I was following my dads last flight(AAL39) from SFO-HNL on August 26. Its only the SFO portion. I followed it from Gnd, Twr, Dep.