Author Topic: Lindbergh 3667 Gear Problem  (Read 11288 times)

Offline RonR

Lindbergh 3667 Gear Problem
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »
On Dec 20th at around 10:45PM local time, Lindbergh 3667 declared an emergency shortly after takeoff and returned to KORD.  They had a gear issue where it made a "loud noise" when retracted.  They actually went as far as Chicago Center (123.82) before there was any mention of a problem.  The attached audio clip picks them up on Chicago Departure.  The segment on Chicago Center (123.82) is not available; no coverage there from liveatc.  It looks like the flight first notified ATC of the gear problem while they were talking to Chicago Center.  Interesting that they would wait that long...the gear is retracted long before they get to that point, usually right after takeoff and I believe when a positive rate has been achieved...

Anyway, here's the audio...

Ron

Offline ridejumpfly

Re: Lindbergh 3667 Gear Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »
They were most likely communicating with dispatch and maintenance prior to making a decision to return or continue. 

Justin whetstone

Offline RonR

Re: Lindbergh 3667 Gear Problem
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure they contacted their dispatch right away, it just seemed odd to me that they climbed almost to their planned cruise altitude before deciding to return...I'm sure they noticed the problem as soon as they retracted the gear after takeoff.  Either way though, I'm happy they landed safely.

Ron