airtraffic

Author Topic: Lightning Strikes two Southwest flights into BURbank  (Read 15363 times)

Offline cptkirk

Lightning Strikes two Southwest flights into BURbank
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
Anyone hear what time this happened?  This AP article doesn't mention it and I can't find anything to indicate which flights it was to see if I can find the archive.  Not on avherald either.
EDIT:  I'm searching flightaware now to check all the times where swa came from OAK and SMF. 

Lightning Strikes 2 Planes Near Burbank Airport

BURBANK, Calif. (AP)  -- Two Southwest Airlines airplanes have been struck by lighting while landing at Burbank's Bob Hope Airport.

Southwest spokeswoman Marilee McInnis says the flights to Burbank from Sacramento and Oakland landed safely Wednesday morning after being struck while approaching the airport amid heavy rains.

She says a flight attendant reported a pain in her arm and was hospitalized, but no other injuries were reported.

The two Boeing 737s were taken out of service and passengers with continuing flights were put on other planes.

McInnis says all aircraft are built to withstand lightning strikes, which can occur during flights through stormy weather.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:10:46 PM by cptkirk »

Offline bluecrewfan08

Re: Lightning Strikes two Southwest flights into BURbank
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
Looks like the Sacramento flight was SWA 1580 and Oakland was SWA 1475

Rob

Offline cptkirk

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:50:09 PM »
What a let down!!!!  :x So I found this other article (pasted below) that gives the arrival times of the flights.  So i was able to find them on Flightaware and found the archive and there is absolutely no mention of any lightning strikes at all.
they were flight SWA1475 from OAK to BUR and it arrived at 9:37 AM (1737z) and SWA1580 from SMF to BUR and arrived at 9:52 AM (1752z).  you hear them on the recording but again no reports of lightning.

Two planes bound for Burbank struck by lightning
January 20, 2010 | 12:21 pm
Two Southwest Airlines Boeing 737s were struck by lightning during their flights today but landed safely at Bob Hope Airport in Burbank. One flight attendant who complained of pain in her arm was taken to the hospital for examination, authorities said.

The airliners, which were flying to Burbank from Sacramento and Oakland, landed at 9:38 a.m. and 9:57 a.m., said Marilee McInnis, a spokeswoman for Southwest Airlines. Both planes were taken out of service to check for possible damage.

McInnis said the Sacramento flight carried 69 passengers while the Oakland flight had 81 passengers aboard. She did not know how far the aircraft were from the airport when they were struck by lightning.

The flight attendant was taken by paramedics to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, said Victor Gill, a spokesman for Bob Hope Airport.

Federal Aviation Administration regulations require that aircraft components and electrical systems be built to withstand lightning strikes.

Offline cptkirk

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »
Looks like the Sacramento flight was SWA 1580 and Oakland was SWA 1475

I found that too and found the archive but nothing interesting at all.  I gotta say that for as bad as these storms have been, it's been borring listening!!!

Offline tyketto

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »
What a let down!!!!  :x So I found this other article (pasted below) that gives the arrival times of the flights.  So i was able to find them on Flightaware and found the archive and there is absolutely no mention of any lightning strikes at all.
they were flight SWA1475 from OAK to BUR and it arrived at 9:37 AM (1737z) and SWA1580 from SMF to BUR and arrived at 9:52 AM (1752z).  you hear them on the recording but again no reports of lightning.

Think about it this way. As long as you have the flight number, you don't need the article.

Search for those particular flights at FlightAware, and you'll get the exact departure and arrival times you are looking for (and they should be times in GMT). allot for about then search through the KBUR archive on or before the arrival time of the flight, and you should have it.

BL.

Offline cptkirk

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »
Originally the AP articles on this just mention Southwest flights from OAK and SMF.  They didn't include the flight # or arrival times.  So I went on flightaware and looked at arrivals and pulled the archive around those times were an OAK and SMF arrival came in around the same time.  Then found the article with the arrival times and then confirmed I had the right flight numbers.  but it was just a boring recording with no mention of either lightning strike.  Which is weird since one report says a flight attendant went to the hospital.

Offline bleyton

• Tarpy Tailors - the finest airline uniforms, since 1934
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »
I was listening most of the day yesterday and never heard a word about the lightning strikes.  During the squall that must have been the one that spawned the lightning to the west, I heard one flight (I believe it was SWA) that was sitting at the end of 15 waiting for the weather to clear up.  At that point we got a nice little downpour with some small hail.  When the tower went to clear them for takeoff, the crew responded that they had to return to the gate, because Boeing procedures require an inspection after hail.

Later on I heard a plane that was having some trouble with sluggish flaps.  They aborted one approach, and circled for a bit before they came in again.  I wasn't listening that closely at the time though, so I'm not sure exactly what happened.  I imagine we would have heard about it if it had ended badly.

On the radio a short time ago, they said that Southwest has suspended all operations in/out of Burbank until 6:00 PM.  It certainly has been quiet here most of the day.

Brian
Your KBUR feeder

Offline btnhtillidie

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 06:04:44 AM »
If anyone gets a chance tune into 133.90 Mornings 0600-0800 or evenings 1800-1900. Good stuff some times.

Offline glencar

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
I'm not sure what night it was but I had several lightning strikes in the JFK area earlier this week. No one had to return to the field.

Cap747

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 09:10:20 AM »
I'm not sure, but when did this happen? I read about it to, but as I looked at the dates from previous postings it had to be somewhere in january???

We are now living in march..... :mrgreen:

I found this article....http://www.avherald.com/h?article=428af6f8&opt=0