airtraffic

Author Topic: Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video  (Read 12991 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video
« on: July 10, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »

Two weeks ago I was with a friend who had COM failure and that was my first experience with light guns. Because of this, I thought it would behoove me to brush up on my experiences in a plane.

I posted my experiences in the Flight Aware forums.  The COM failure can be found at http://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?p=83618#83618 and my light gun questions can be found at http://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?p=83893#83893

Offline mdr666

Re: Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »
Really interesting video. Not being a pilot myself, I can only conclude that this is not part of the PPL training. Watching the video, I have to question how effective it really is (certainly, it would probably work better at night) - I mean, I suppose in NORDO conditions, it's better than nothing, but not exactly a resounding replacement. Good work, btw (I love in cockpit videos, expecially GA).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:47:44 PM by mdr666 »

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »
Really interesting video. Not being a pilot myself, I can only conclude that this is not part of the PPL training. Watching the video, I have to question how effective it really is (certainly, it would probably work better at night) - I mean, I suppose in NORDO conditions, it's better than nothing, but not exactly a resounding replacement. Good work, btw (I love in cockpit videos, expecially GA).

It depends on your instructor if you get exposed to light guns.  I didn't when did my VFR training 8 years ago.

Gotta love flying as it took me 925 hours for my first exposure to light guns!  Glad I did this as it does give me much better insight on what to expect should I really go NORDO.

I will say it was a "hard worked" one hour flight time, but very, very fulfilling when all was said and done as I do love learning!

Offline mdr666

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:06:55 AM »
Also, I read all the posts on Flightaware, and I have to say that, personally, I appreciate your honesty in posting this (and referencing back to some less than positive posts). I can almost guarantee that this is not the first time someone has gone through a similar situation, and to be forthcoming about it is admirable - not to mention a great learning experience. Having read through many NTSB reports, the whole "comedy of errors" is not restricted to GA.

Offline silent_sTeZel18

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »
Gotta adulation aerial as it took me 925 hours for my aboriginal acknowledgment to ablaze guns! Glad I did this as it does accord me abundant bigger acumen on what to apprehend should I absolutely go NORDO.

Offline pgarside

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:33:23 PM »
Gotta adulation aerial as it took me 925 hours for my aboriginal acknowledgment to ablaze guns! Glad I did this as it does accord me abundant bigger acumen on what to apprehend should I absolutely go NORDO.

Well said

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »
Wow.. I'm surprised it's not part of the PPL training in the states.

It's part of the PPL training here in Canada.