Author Topic: KSEA Puzzling Turbulance  (Read 11562 times)

Offline DTAK

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 35
KSEA Puzzling Turbulance
« on: February 01, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »
The controller is becoming a favorite of mine at SEA.  He seems to have switched to days this week, and in good form this morning (Wednesday 2/1).

He has a unique "cleared to land" call.

This morning, looking out the window, he spots a potential problem.



Offline Tomato

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
KSEA Puzzling Turbulance
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 01:35:53 PM »
Pilot-induced turbulence?  ...do I even want to know what that means?!  :shock:

Nice clip though!  :)
Serving you with CYVR... =)

Offline Jason

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1260
  • CFI/CFII
KSEA Puzzling Turbulance
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 01:41:12 PM »
Quote from: Tomato
Pilot-induced turbulence?  ...do I even want to know what that means?!  :shock:

Nice clip though!  :)


One of the two pilots flew the aircraft using quick, abrupt control inputs which looked like the plane was going through turbulence.

Pilot-induced turbulence IOW means: Pilot controlled the airplane with sharp control movements and the control pressures used created turbulance due to those inputs.

Awesome clip!  Haven't heard something like this in a while.  ...controller also sounds like he's on the ball.

Jason

P.S. Pilot-induced turbulence in the case it was used in this clip was kind of a joke as well.  The ATCT thought the plane was going through some sort of turbulance, but the pilot admitted it was basically their fault. <g>

Offline Tomato

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
KSEA Puzzling Turbulance
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »
Got it!  ...and yeah, I kinda understood the joke-part of it.  I'm curious though, is there a situation where pilots usually perform these quick movements?
Serving you with CYVR... =)

Offline Jason

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1260
  • CFI/CFII
KSEA Puzzling Turbulance
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 01:50:13 PM »
Quote from: Tomato
Got it!  ...and yeah, I kinda understood the joke-part of it.  I'm curious though, is there a situation where pilots usually perform these quick movements?


IMO: It's the result of poor airmanship, but 20 other people will give you 20 other answers/opinions.  In some cases though it could be a result of wind shear or wake turbulence, but pilot-induced turbulence generally means that the turbulence is being felt due to pilot input.

There is no situation IMO that would require a pilot to create their own induced turbulance.  It's usually a result of abrupt rudder and alieron/elevator controls.

Jason

Offline Jolly009

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 39
    • http://firehouse.com
KSEA Puzzling Turbulance
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:53:15 PM »
Well in Seattle...  I can only think of Big Buildings, Birds, and the abrupt eruption of Mt. Rainier or St. Helens... and well, he might of had one too many in the O club....  :-) (JOKING ONLY)
Kevin Schultz
Veteran USAF HH-60G Crew Chief
Firefighter/EMT-B

Offline frantzy

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 53
Pilot-induced tb
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 09:11:07 PM »
Quote from: Jason
Quote from: Tomato

There is no situation IMO that would require a pilot to create their own induced turbulance.  It's usually a result of abrupt rudder and alieron/elevator controls.


I can think of another scenario:  practicing steep turns, I always knew I did a good one when, at the end of the 360-degree turn, I ran into my own wake turbulence.

Offline Jason

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1260
  • CFI/CFII
Re: Pilot-induced tb
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 09:28:32 PM »
Quote from: frantzy
I can think of another scenario:  practicing steep turns, I always knew I did a good one when, at the end of the 360-degree turn, I ran into my own wake turbulence.


That's definitely a great example of a situation, and I have experienced that before as well.  The point I was making was intended for larger, heavier, less menueverable aircraft and I should have also included that I was talking about an approach-to-land scenerio.  I haven't done steep turns on final and I sure would't recommend it  at such a low altitude<g>  :wink: .

Thanks for bringing up an interesting point....I didn't think about that one! :lol:

Jason

Offline frantzy

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 53
Re: Pilot-induced tb
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 12:07:59 AM »
Quote from: Jason
The point I was making was intended for larger, heavier, less menueverable aircraft and I should have also included that I was talking about an approach-to-land scenerio.


Your main point was certainly correct, Jason, I was just joking around...

Mike