Air Traffic Monitoring > Aviation Audio Clips

KSEA final approach monitor break-in

(1/3) > >>

gmwnet:
Listening to KSEA Final feed this morning I heard a first for me -- a different controller voice said "this is final approach monitor cancel approach clearance fly runway heading maintain 3000"

Wow, didn't know KSEA had a final approach monitor -- there is only one ILS at a time here until the third runway comes online.  Wonder if they are practicing or what happened.

Anyways, thought that was interesting!  Some dead air deleted for brevity.

moto400ex:
Deffinetly sounds like hes saying "this is mock final monitor"  I looked at some approach plates and none stated any simultaneous ILS approaches.  The controller didnt exactly state break out instructions, I would expect a heading other than runway heading and probably expect a climb or if nearing NTZ a direction to return to the localizer course.  I did see an airport diagram and it look like a new runway is being built.  Sounds like its just practice but it will be nice to listen to in the future when they have simultaneous parrallel ILS approaches in use. 

mk:
wierd.  the last transmission approach gave Horizon was a caution wake turbulance behind a B777. he never switched him to the tower, unless it was cut out when the clip was edited.  the monitor is also responsible for separation on final after the final app controller switches a/c to the final.  so maybe it was a "mock" monitor pulling Horizon out before a loss of wake turb resulted.  def no simuls going on there though

gmwnet:
I think figured this out -- It was because of a missed approach from Boeing Field (KBFI) ILS 13R.

I googled a bit and indeed SEA does have a final approach monitor.  In seriously degraded weather the missed approach protected airspace for KBFI 13R intrudes into the airspace of the ILS approach for KSEA 16L/C.  BFI is right smack under the SEA ILS final approach fix (indeed the old SEA NDB/LOM used to be located at BFI) with Seattle ILS traffic at about 1,900 on the glideslope just over Boeing Field. 

It was a typically very low visibility Fall fog morning and someone must have missed at BFI (that missed approach is up to 2,000 as the initial). So having the final approach monitor say fly runway heading and maintain 3000 makes sense for a SEA arrival.

cessna157:
Sounds like a resonable explanation, but still doesn't answer the mock question.  It sure seems like he says mock final monitor.  Or does he start to say monitor and stumbles and corrects himself to say final monitor?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version