Author Topic: Jetblue 194 - Hydraulics Issue KLAS  (Read 20718 times)

Offline mk223

Jetblue 194 - Hydraulics Issue KLAS
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
Audio from KLAS App/Dep and KLAS TWR

After departing Las Vegas, JB194 reported "multiple problems," but they wanted to continue with the departure. Within 3 minutes of the initial call they did report an emergency citing the loss of 2 hydraulic systems as the main issues. JB 194 then circled for appox. 3 hours to burn fuel and then landed safely at KLAS and was towed to the gate by emergency services.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU194/history/20120617/2053Z/KLAS/KLAS

Quite a longish discussion ongoing on the AVherald entry for this, http://avherald.com/h?article=45165c68&opt=0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:28:00 PM by mk223 »

Offline langbell

Re: Jetblue 194 - Hydraulics Issue KLAS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »
3 hours fighting the a/c with no hydraulics? Man that had to be exhausting. At the end there sounds like you can hear the exertion in his voice.

Offline tim.landscheidt

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
3 hours fighting the a/c with no hydraulics? Man that had to be exhausting. At the end there sounds like you can hear the exertion in his voice.
In an Airbus?

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »
If they had "no hydraulics" they would have been doing a "Sioux City" with differential thrust, since no amount of wagging the side-stick would do anything on an A-320 with no juice. But they still had the third (and final) system, hence they lived.

That's why my favorite airliner, both from front ride comfort and mechanical simplicity standpoints has always been the DC-9/MD-80/B-117 with those lovely servo tabs. Cables and Bernoulli work every time. As to Airbus, I try to avoid all "fly by wire" aircraft unless equipped with an ejection seat. Ever since that one flew into the trees at that (Paris?) air show years ago I said "Not for me". Relying upon computers or "Jesus Nuts" to keep me in the air has never been a source of comfort.

Offline mk223

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

Yeah, I didnt feel like culling through the hours of holding when most of the communication was probably related to course corrections. But at the start, you know the situation is not ideal when it's hard to hear the crew over the multiple warning horns/alarms.

Offline hburg

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »
What clips are the best to listen to? I imagine the 2300z clip is good to listen, but what about the landing part?

Offline ftlurker

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »
Some "wonderful" examples of hyperbolic reporting here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162012/JetBlue-planes-mechanical-meltdown-sends-careering-wildly-skies-FOUR-hours.html

"Careering wildly through the skies"?? :?

Offline mk223

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »
What clips are the best to listen to? I imagine the 2300z clip is good to listen, but what about the landing part?

The end of the audio clip attached in the first post has whats there from the twr feed. It sounded fairly routine for the most part, but then they switched to another frequency not covered by Live ATC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162012/JetBlue-planes-mechanical-meltdown-sends-careering-wildly-skies-FOUR-hours.html

I know right. I just had on CNN and Fox and they both were trying to make this out to be a wrong act committed by the pilots.

Offline PHXCONXrunner

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 01:19:23 AM »

I actually believe that it was a wild ride.  LAS during the summer is nasty with turbulence when you have all 3 hydraulic systems working.  Get down to just the Blue, and you're in for a rough time.

Looks like they lost the Green system, and then the Yellow pump (the one that makes the barking dog noise) overheated (probably the screeching they heard), so for a while it was not looking good (or feeling good).