airtraffic

Author Topic: KJFK Airport Closed This Morning  (Read 12417 times)

Offline RonR

KJFK Airport Closed This Morning
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
JFK was closed this morning for a short time apparently due to poor braking action at the far end of the runway after landing.  Initial local news reports claimed an aircraft skidded off the runway, but this does not seem to be the case judging by the audio.  And just before the closure, there was an object on the runway that raised a few concerns.  Maybe this also had to do with the airport closure...here's the audio (8 min):

Ron

Offline cptbrw

Re: KJFK Airport Closed This Morning
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
An aircraft did slide off the runway.  Delta Connection (Pinnacle) airlines flight 4100 landed safely on rwy 22L but then slid into snow while turning off the runway.  No injuries but the airport was closed shortly thereafter because of the ice.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=163032

Offline RonR

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »
Yes you're right, I was just about to update my post  :-)

But they had already cleared the runway when that happened and were to be towed to the gate.  So FLG4100 was not the initial reason the airport was closed, although it may have played a role in the decision by the Port Authority to close the airport later on.

Ron

Offline RonR

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »

Offline phil-s

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:31:49 AM »
It's an expansion strip. Presumably forced upward by the unusual temperature conditions. Not a big deal, just run over it.

Offline RonR

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:35:54 AM »
It sounded like the loose strip was long enough that it could've gotten sucked into an engine if they were close enough. I think that was the concern.