Author Topic: KFMY 4-16-2012 poor student in cross country!, many mistakes.  (Read 30224 times)

Offline N500GS

Re: KFMY 4-16-2012 poor student in cross country!, many mistakes.
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »
It's easy to see how the student became flustered given the tone of the controller's voice. Yes he was nervous, maybe it was his first cross country. What concerns me here is the tone of the controller's voice, and the fact he was clearly exasperated by this experience. Seriously is the the guy you want on the other end of the comm when you are in a pickle? Stay calm help the kid down and then ask him to call the tower and discuss it then. Listen to the difference in the tone of his voice used with other pilots. In my opinion he exacerbated the situation when he should have been helping. Listen to any of the ATC recordings of the guys who received Archie awards this year, they demonstrate confidence, compassion and caring, this controller needs to go back to JFK (which is where it sounds as if he came from) but my guess is it was too much for him to handle.

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
I got my "Where the hell you going?" dress down late one crummy night while departing GSO. I requested a NE departure on rwy 5 so I could go direct to South Boston, roughly a ten degree right turn-out, and on climb-out the tower told me to turn LEFT to a heading of 060 then proceed direct. I said "LEFT to 060?" and he replied "Affirmative", so I commenced the 360 as instructed. About half way through I got his "WTF?", I told him I had asked and he had confirmed the unusual instruction and he then asked me why anybody would ever tell me to turn left to intercept a course that was to my right. I replied that I didn't know, assumed the blame, apologized for his mistake, took his subsequent hand-off and moved on. A few minutes later I heard the next guy behind me check in with departure climbing out on the reciprocal heading, meaning that they changed the active as I was taking off and I obviously got lost in the turnaround. Those things happen, and back then Dave wasn't around for us to review the audio.

Offline shawnbhandal

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »
InterpreDemon

Shawnbhandal is correct in implying that the instructor is to share some (if not all of the) blame in this.

Thanks.

I will reply later, very busy these days.

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »
Shawnbhandal , that was iskyfly's quote, but I am in agreement.