Author Topic: KCLT tower evacuation Oct 1  (Read 8930 times)

Offline jeffcyn

KCLT tower evacuation Oct 1
« on: October 05, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
I first heard something about the tower being evacuated when I was combing through the archives for Sully's first flight.  Today I went back and was able to piece together the attached audio.  I have removed A LOT of dead air but left in the numerous unanswered calls to ground and tower.

Here is a brief summary:

AWE1521 called tower at approx. 10:53Z with no answer for about 2 minutes until 10:55Z.  I like when tower states "your on you own"!!

The tower appears to have been vacated from approx 10:53Z to 11:20Z.  Ground also went off air but was still responding a little after the tower.

One question that I have since I am not familiar with tower procedures.  Would the tower not try to update the ATIS with information that it has been vacated?  Are there procedures in place for use of hand held radios?

Offline aevins

Re: KCLT tower evacuation Oct 1
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
I believe all towers have evacuation procedures, many have kits that contain hand held transceivers.

Offline RV1

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
Updating the ATIS is rather low on the priority list. Usually we are more concerned about the safety of all personnel, grabbing the transmitters, and carrying any and all food from the breakroom, ie., donuts, cookies, pie or whatever else just in case we're away from the facility for awhile:   sustenance.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 12:10:43 AM »
Yeah can't forget the donuts!

As far as I know, and as was mentioned, most towers have handhelds for radio transmissions but in order for controllers to issue instructions, they need a place to go first.  As far as that goes, that's probably something that varies by airport.

Offline n0qxw

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »
"I don't think anybody's home."

Classic.

Offline Switch Monkey

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
608ca is persistent!