airtraffic

Author Topic: KCDW radio transmission failure  (Read 16272 times)

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
KCDW radio transmission failure
« on: February 02, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
Cessna 6789F experienced a radio transmission failure at around 2:35pm EST. He was arriving from the north, around Lincoln Park while attempting to reach Caldwell Tower.

I've attached an edited version of what's in the archive. I happened to tune in as this was happening and eventually locked the scanner to this freq.  Prior to that, though, there are transmissions on other frequencies.

This was interesting. There is a reference to using light gun signals prior to working out that the pilot could hear them, but not transmit.

Later, it sounds like the pilot attempts to use a handheld mic, rather than a headset, but the transmission cuts off quickly.

Tower sounded like he was pretty focused because the Mooney calling north of SNAFU towards the end of the clip gets no love on his first call, then has to repeat his position and aircraft type in subsequent calls :)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 06:01:01 PM »
Thanks for the clip, Keith.  It sounds like the local controller was able to understand the radio failure of the Cessna fairly fast and reduce any delay and/or miscommunication.

Bravo Zulu!

Jason

P.S. Are you sure the registration is 6798F?

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 06:13:50 PM »
Quite right, I mistyped his callsign, after spending a while decoding it in the first place :) It's 6789F, and I've edited the post to reflect that.

Apparently it's a 1966 Cessna 150F.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 06:19:54 PM »
Quote from: keith
Quite right, I mistyped his callsign, after spending a while decoding it in the first place :) It's 6789F, and I've edited the post to reflect that.

Apparently it's a 1966 Cessna 150F.

Thanks...I was just curious as to why the registration would not be valid.  I've edited my post as well.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline r0bCDW

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 06:21:59 PM »
the kcdw are awsome, that is everyone expect "textbook todd"  :P