Author Topic: KBOS twr vs. pilot confusion  (Read 16076 times)

Offline Hollis

KBOS twr vs. pilot confusion
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:29:16 AM »
Can't get there from here.

Offline tszarek

Re: KBOS twr vs. pilot confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:06:11 AM »
Couldn't find a definitive answer in the J7110.65U, but this AOPA article would indicate that the ATC was correct.

http://www.aopa.org/training/articles/2010/100428phraseology.html

(Complete Route)(runway(s) crossing, if needed)(a hold short instruction, if needed)

In the Crystal Airport example, it's pretty clear Delta comes after runways to be crossed.

In the San Antonio example, Golf and November are after the runway to be crossed, and Foxtrot is after the runway to hold short of.

That being said, I can see how if you are expecting the instructions to read like, well instructions, you would expect the runway crossing to come in the place it would happen on the route.

Offline Sphynx

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
I wonder how many people ended up confused? :lol:
What was the final outcome of this?

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:04:18 AM »
The controller was correct as far as the 7110.65 is concerned.  The pilot makes a very good point that it makes more sense to be sequential.

Check the examples under paragraph b.  That's about as close to this BOS example as I could find.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/atc0307.html#atc0307.html.2

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
The reg requires controllers to append the hold short instruction at the end of the taxi instructions. That rule is 3-7-2 a.

"When authorizing an aircraft/vehicle to proceed on the movement area or to any point other than assigned takeoff runway, specify the route/taxi instructions. If it is the intent to hold the aircraft/vehicle short of any given point along the taxi route, issue the route and then state the holding instructions."