airtraffic

Author Topic: "Isn't looking good for us" go around for a 736  (Read 8031 times)

Offline DNCYYZ

"Isn't looking good for us" go around for a 736
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:02:06 AM »
First post here...

My brother said that the flight he was on (Westjet flight 149 from YOW to YYZ, 737-600) on the 23rd of September, 2011 performed a go-around.

So I pulled up the audio from this amazing site (CYYZ-Twr-Sep-23-2011-1630Z) and at 16:50 in the pilot informs the tower that "(it) isn't looking good for us"!

What does that mean?

Thanks for the explanations!

(Sorry - don't know how to cut the audio down to the relevent portion)

Offline derekjackson

Re: "Isn't looking good for us" go around for a 736
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:27:02 AM »
According to the CADORS database (entry 2011O2881),    

The WestJet Airlines Ltd. Boeing 737-600 series aircraft (operating as flight WJA149) was concluding a scheduled IFR flight from Ottawa (M-CIA) (CYOW) to Toronto (LBPIA) (CYYZ). NAV CANADA staff at Toronto Tower advised that the flight crew initiated an overshoot while on approach to runway 06L due to an unstable approach. Ops. impact -- none.

I'm not too sure what "unstable approach" means, but a quick search reveals it means the plane was not properly configured for landing by the time it should be. In that case a go-around is the prudent course of action.

I've attached the clip you referred to. Pretty much a non-event in the world of aviation.

Offline martyj19

Re: "Isn't looking good for us" go around for a 736
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »
Trying to keep it simple for the original poster who isn't familiar with all the pilot jargon:

A stabilized approach is one where the aircraft has the flaps, gear, and other equipment correctly set up, is at the correct speed, lined up with the runway, and at the correct descent angle to proceed to a landing.  The landing can then be completed without needing to make more than very slight changes.

Most companies have policies in place that require this, and the proper response to not having a stabilized approach set up is to go around and try it again.  While a go-around is not an outcome that happens very often and thus not totally routine, from the very earliest pilot training, you are put in the mindset to go around at any point in the approach rather than to try to salvage a bad approach.

"It isn't looking good for us" shouldn't be taken as "we're about to crash".  It might mean something like, we were too high or too fast or not lined up well enough with the runway.  Add power, establish a climb, clean up the flaps and gear, do it again.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:03:39 AM by martyj19 »