airtraffic

Author Topic: john travolta spotted in Baltimore  (Read 23755 times)

Offline mk

john travolta spotted in Baltimore
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »
Monday Sept. 8th 0300z-0330z clip. N218JT takes off around 3:30 into the clip.  Further discussion about "negative RNAV" later.

Offline bsmith19

Re: john travolta spotted in Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:26:50 PM »
Attached is the clip, and here's the flightaware flight path:

Offline CFD208

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »
 :-D Looks like runway heading radar vectors direct destination.  Must be nice. :-D

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »
is that travolta talkin?   i mean, that voice doesnt sound too much like his.   if im wrong, ill shut up!  lol

Offline bsmith19

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »
It's his eclipse, but I'm not sure if it is him talking.

Offline mk

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »
it was def. him talking for the first few minutes...not sure after that though. 

Offline BigSky

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »
I am wondering how he got such a straight routing. I was under the impression that aircraft are required to fly point to point when IFR.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »
Nah, if you've got GPS, you can file for direct routing.  Doesn't always mean you're going to get it.  When I used to fly the CitationJet, we'd file direct just about anywhere.  You just need a starting point and an ending point (departure/arrival) if the airport/nearby airspace requires it.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »
From Vinnie Barbarino to captain of his own plane - awesome.

Offline BigSky

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 11:05:55 AM »
Nah, if you've got GPS, you can file for direct routing.  Doesn't always mean you're going to get it.  When I used to fly the CitationJet, we'd file direct just about anywhere.  You just need a starting point and an ending point (departure/arrival) if the airport/nearby airspace requires it.

Does this include commercial flights? All of the  commercial flights I have tracked via flighaware (admittedly only a handful) seem to take less direct routes. Is this direct routing only available to GA aircraft?

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 02:55:44 PM »
Does this include commercial flights? All of the  commercial flights I have tracked via flighaware (admittedly only a handful) seem to take less direct routes. Is this direct routing only available to GA aircraft?

Well, not really.  Officially, according to the FAA, a Cessna 172 with GPS, a CitationJet with GPS, a CRJ-900 with 2 GPSs, and a B-747-400 with INS/etc all have exactly the same priority when it comes to IFR.  Now with that being said, let's bring common sense/common operating practices in:

Example 1: when I fly AUS-JFK my company files for, and we get cleared for a route that takes us due eastbound across the Southeast US, over ATL, to pick up the east coast into NYC.  Not exactly a direct route, is it?  That is an FAA preferred route that joins up into 1 of the 3 major routes into JFK.  We could file direct if we wanted, but we sure ain't gonna get it.  They have routes between most major cities of the US so 2 aircraft going between the same cities will fly exactly the same route and stay in line.  Thats also the reason for SIDs and STARs.  They organize the traffic into a few easy to manage flows to get in to/out of the terminal areas.  Some SIDs/STARs are bettter and more useful than others (compare a SID/STAR from ATL or CVG vs SID/STAR from JFK or LGA).

Example 2:  Let's say you wanted to fly a Bonanza between 2 smalleror medium airports, for example BDL-ALB (Hartford, CT to Albany, NY).  You can file for, and most likely will receive a direct routing.  You won't get in the way of any major traffic streams across the US.

Example 3:  I used to fly a CitationJet 525, based out of HAO (Hamilton, Ohio, a GA/corporate reliever airport for Cincinnati).  We frequently flew down to Naples, FL where the company owner had a house.  We would file direct to CVG-V97-HYK then direct (Cincinnati VOR, victor airway to Lexington, KY, then direct down to FL).  That was to satisfy the requirement to stay out of the CVG terminal area (yes, that routing is more directly through the CVG airpspace rather than overall direct route, but it was used to vector us around the area).

So, moral of the story is:  Anyone can file direct routing.  But only if you won't conflict with a major traffic stream.

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
and it will conflict, unless you go FL450 and above... 

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »
Anyone know which plane it was? Eclipse? G5? 707? Must be nice to say..."hmm which plane should i take today?"

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 12:22:14 PM »
Anyone know which plane it was? Eclipse? G5? 707? Must be nice to say..."hmm which plane should i take today?"

Uhhhh, I'm gonna go out on a limb and take a while guess and say it was the Eclipse.    :mrgreen: :?

Offline bsmith19

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
Yes it's the Eclipse 500.