Author Topic: JFK Tower 162028Z - 2030Z (callsign muttered)101/H Move the damn airplane!  (Read 14040 times)

Offline cbkyro

Was at work while listening to the JFK tower feed on my phone. As I followed all the inbound aircraft, this guy was worried about wingtips touching with traffic in the opposite direction on a parallel taxiway.

I cut it down to the initial taxi instructions on to the last you hear of them.  Just over 2:30 minutes. Listen for (callsign)101 Heavy.

Enjoy the laugh,  :-D
CBKYRO

PS. Will this post move it to the interestinf recordings? I'm sure that section is moderated.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
I believe the call sign was "Etihad," ETD101, a carrier from the United Arab Emirates.

Offline cbkyro

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Offline evilcuban

Do they get in trouble for saying damn?

Offline cbkyro

Do they get in trouble for saying damn?
Haha, they are controllers. You handle things as needed. In this case he had to get this guy moving and got tired of the pilot worrying about something he knew wasn't a factor. But to answer your question, no. Damn isn't really considered a swear word anyhow and it's not a big deal. It was just a funny clip..

Offline evilcuban

Haha, they are controllers. You handle things as needed. In this case he had to get this guy moving and got tired of the pilot worrying about something he knew wasn't a factor. But to answer your question, no. Damn isn't really considered a swear word anyhow and it's not a big deal. It was just a funny clip..

Yes, it was funny, and good.  He's my favorite guy to listen to at JFK and I'd miss hearing him if he had to take a week or two off for something stupid like that.

Offline rekno13

Offline cbkyro

Thanks for the post.
These related? http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcaviation-audio-clips/jfk-gnd-the-joker-is-gettin-mad/

That's hilarious but other than the same controllers involved, your link was 4 days later.

Offline svoynick

Actually, I have a slightly different take - it's not the controller's place to pass judgement on what a pilot is worrying about, as that's the pilot's decision.  This pilot was "worried about" his wingtips, and told the controller that (taking an excessive amount of radio airtiime to essentially reply "unable" to the "Right Bravo" clearance) and the controller immediately and appropriately issued an alternate clearance in response.  It all sounded pretty normal - the pilot gets final decision on what is "a factor" in the operation of the aircraft, and the controller offers clearances to accommodate - everybody's doing their jobs to this point.

The problem seemed to be that a significant time after the clearance was issued, the aircraft hadn't started moving, and for that, I don't blame the controller for getting anxious.  He did his job, gave the pilot an alternate taxi clearance (and asked him to keep it moving...); it was the pilot's job to act on that clearance or communicate why he was unable....

The "move the damn airplane" comment came over 50 seconds after the "straight ahead on alpha" clearance was issued.  Seems like it should have been plenty of time for an aircraft to get rolling; hard to blame the controller for getting impatient...

Although I also noticed that - as this clip is edited, anyway - ETD101 did not read back or even acknowledge the "straight ahead on alpha" clearance.    Then the clip ends, but I wonder if they read back: "moving the damn airplane, Etihad 101."   Hmmm...  would that have made things better or worse? :-D

Offline cbkyro

Actually, I have a slightly different take - it's not the controller's place to pass judgement on what a pilot is worrying about, as that's the pilot's decision.  This pilot was "worried about" his wingtips, and told the controller that (taking an excessive amount of radio airtiime to essentially reply "unable" to the "Right Bravo" clearance) and the controller immediately and appropriately issued an alternate clearance in response.  It all sounded pretty normal - the pilot gets final decision on what is "a factor" in the operation of the aircraft, and the controller offers clearances to accommodate - everybody's doing their jobs to this point.

The problem seemed to be that a significant time after the clearance was issued, the aircraft hadn't started moving, and for that, I don't blame the controller for getting anxious.  He did his job, gave the pilot an alternate taxi clearance (and asked him to keep it moving...); it was the pilot's job to act on that clearance or communicate why he was unable....

The "move the damn airplane" comment came over 50 seconds after the "straight ahead on alpha" clearance was issued.  Seems like it should have been plenty of time for an aircraft to get rolling; hard to blame the controller for getting impatient...
We share the same view but I did not elaborate in my response. Even if I had, your choice of words may have been better either way.

Although I also noticed that - as this clip is edited, anyway - ETD101 did not read back or even acknowledge the "straight ahead on alpha" clearance.    Then the clip ends, but I wonder if they read back: "moving the damn airplane, Etihad 101."   Hmmm...  would that have made things better or worse? :-D
I of course listened further and unless I just plain missed it, there were no further comms with ETD101/H.