Author Topic: JFK Bomb Threat / Cranky Captain  (Read 24641 times)

Offline denverpilot

Offline TangoWhiskey

Re: JFK Bomb Threat / Cranky Captain
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
Hi Nate.  

See http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL24/history/20120917/1400Z/KSFO/KJFK/times

Looks like they delayed them about an hour after landing before they got to the gate.

I listened to the 3:00-3:30 GND / TWR tapes and didn't hear it.  Maybe I got the UTC time conversion wrong.

Troy

Offline TangoWhiskey

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »
OK, got it on the 1900Z tape; I'll clip out the relevant portions and post.

EDIT: Time compressed audio attached to this post. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:20:31 PM by TangoWhiskey »

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »
"Give us taxi instructions to the ramp or we'll declare." (kidding)

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:16:32 AM »
I wouldn't say cranky. I would think as a captain you should have every right to know what was going on, especially if there are vehicles approaching your aircraft.

Offline B777ER

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »
Those AA guys have a short fuse... what with bankruptcy and all... 8-)

Offline SKi206

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:03:46 PM »
I'm a pilot for a Major US Airline and I have to say I agree with how this Captain handled this 100%. As the Captain you and you alone bear the finally responsibility for the safety of your passengers and crew. Not ATC, not the FAA and not the TSA or any other organization. If there is a threat to the aircraft then the full details of that threat need to be provided to the Captain the minute they are known.

The way the authorities outside the aircraft handled this incident should result in some people being fired. But it won't because ever since 9/11 (and probably before) the federal authorities have refused to recognize that flight crews are in fact partners in security and have largely handled us based on the mushroom theory.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
Didn't it ever occur to to the captain that VHF frequencies are not encrypted and that anyone with a scanner can listen?  The reason she gave him a phone number is so he could get the information he needed and then he still demanded the info over the frequency.

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »
Didn't it ever occur to to the captain that VHF frequencies are not encrypted and that anyone with a scanner can listen?  The reason she gave him a phone number is so he could get the information he needed and then he still demanded the info over the frequency.
Even telling the pilot that there is a "safety of flight issue" or something like that would have probably been much better than saying nothing at all. There could be restrictions on cell phone use in the cockpit with which the pilots would have to comply.

I'm honestly a little shocked that there are not procedures in place that inform ATC, pilots, and emergency personnel about terrorist activity in a manner that keeps them all on the same page. Being in the pilot's seat, I would be equally as shocked at the situation as that guy was. I don't blame the controller for not being able to relay information to the pilot, but by now you'd think the FAA would have developed some procedures for this type of incident.

Offline A_J_D_C

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »
The controller was relaying 3rd hand information to the pilot whilst her supervisor was on the phone gaining the information for her to pass onto the pilot and further instructions for the situation whilst the captain was demanding to know what was going on, what else is the poor girl to do  :?

Im not sure how many times she told him that she didnt know what was going on and even suggested he call the company,
Not really sure there was anything else the controller could of done considering the Sup was still on the phone and all she was told was to get the aircraft to go there, park here and wait whilst more info is coming through

757-rules

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »
Why so difficult? Most airplanes have ACARS, put in some code for any situation and we (scanner users) have to find out what the code means... Well that's our hobby, somewhat like sqauwk 7600 ect.