Author Topic: Jet Blue 504 stranded on tarmac for over 7 hours  (Read 66228 times)

Offline derekjackson

Jet Blue 504 stranded on tarmac for over 7 hours
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »
A very unfortunate situation for the crew and passengers after their flight was diverted to Bradley Airport due to poor weather in NYC.

Highlights from ground communications are attached. It sounded as if they had a revolt on board that needed to be quelled!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/jetblue-plane-stranded-on-connecticut-tarmac-for-7-hours-no-food-water-or-working-bathrooms/2011/10/30/gIQA8OnGWM_story.html

Offline lrblumenfeld

Re: Jet Blue 504 stranded on tarmac for over 7 hours
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
i was on the plane.  it was not a revolt.  the passengers were calm for over 7 hours.  this was jetblue corporate issue not an issue with the pilot or passengers.  they just forgot about us for almost 8 hours.

Offline derekjackson

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:48:49 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Why do you think the pilot asked for the cops to come on board? (unless I misheard)

Offline B777ER

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 04:08:35 AM »
Typical corporation nowadays., great at putting out flowery press releases full of "customers are our number 1 priority....." and then you see the reality. The JBU captain saying they got no help from their company operations people. Don't know if Capt. Thompson had the forethought to know what he said over the radio would be recorded and therefore able to be rebroadcast in the public spectrum but I am glad he did.

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:10:18 AM »
Excellent find!

Thanks for the clarification. Why do you think the pilot asked for the cops to come on board? (unless I misheard)

Something must have been going on. He later confirmed "they resolved the situation in the back" and "had to show that authorities were on board". After 7,5 hours you could image some people complaining about deprivation of liberty - even when there was no large scale revolt...

My favourite line from the captain: "My priority is a tug and a tow bar. Just give me a welding shop, I'll be welding one myself...:-D

Offline forethoughts

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
No doubt that is the best line of the clip. having been stuck for 2 hours once I can only wonder how it gets when you tell people you can not go to the bathroom

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »
oh boy! I'm sure some people were not too happy-and I don't blame them. The captain was sure ticked at the company! I'd sure wonder how hard he was on the company channel!

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »
well, at least CNN gives credit to LiveATC.net...thanks derek for posting

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/31/travel/jetblue-flight/index.html?hpt=hp_bn12

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
WrongWayMike,

Don't let the behavior of one company let you characterize the nature of the American system as a whole. This is the greatest country in the world. And be mindful that JetBlue just violated a rule that they initially caused to be created in the first place. They won't be around much longer if they keep that up, and that is the beauty of the system in which we live. Passengers will not fly JetBlue if they fear an ordeal like that.

Offline derekjackson

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »
well, at least CNN gives credit to LiveATC.net...thanks derek for posting

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/31/travel/jetblue-flight/index.html?hpt=hp_bn12

Wow, it looks like every news outlet has picked up this recording! I'm very glad they are giving credit to liveatc.net

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
where else could they get it from? lol

Offline RidersOnTheStorm

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
 :-D :evil:...

My favourite line from the captain: "My priority is a tug and a tow bar. Just give me a welding shop, I'll be welding one myself...:-D
[/quote]

Fair play to the pilot in staying so cool after all that time stranded 7.5 hours!!!!

Offline cageordie

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »
So, speculation is this could cost JB $5.5M. If that comes to pass they'd have been better off declaring an emergency and dumping the slides.

Offline phil-s

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »
Derek - Great job posting this.

Question: Maybe I just missed this but ....

Is the whole audio one freq (ground control?) in chronological order with just deadspace or non-relevant edited out? I ask because, as the audio is now, the captain first asked (demanded?) that law enforcement (trooper) not be put on board. Then later he says that LE was on board and had the situation "defused" (though obviously still explosive).

Thanks.

Offline derekjackson

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »
Tons of dead space and non-flight 405 material was cut out. In all, over an hour's worth of audio was compressed into this clip.

EDIT: The elapsed time between when the captain requested no LE be brought on board and the decision to request it was about 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:20:16 PM by derekjackson »

Offline 767-201ER

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »
If a passenger had  a popped slide, I don't think there is a jury that would convict.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:08:48 AM by 767-201ER »

Offline phil-s

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Popped a slide -- maybe but it's a long way down, even with snow. Reminds me of landing in Reykjavik one day in April 1974 on way to Luxembourg  from ORD. The hippie Icelandic Air 727 connection Cheap! We landed in a very steady 40 knot headwind, straight on. Absolutely smooth landing. Felt like were standing still when the wheels finally touched, Captain came on and said "Passngers are welcome to deplane and visit the duty free shops during our stay here in Reykjavik. However, because of the ice and wind you may need to crawl from the airstairs to the terminal. He was right. But being 24 or whatever my girlfriend and I did exactly that, and back. Can't hardly see that happening in these poliritically correct days of rules and lawsuits.

Ah the good old days.....  

Offline phil-s

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 11:53:40 PM »
Mike - I agree with you completely, and Glenn Greenwald does one of the best jobs of  of anyone of analyzing at least one part of the present situation - especially the fact that voting in this country simply no longer works Which is, BTW, the main mesage of OWS). But --- if you think American aviation is a mess, try a current Sudan Airways domestic flight. It's worse than Aeroflot internal in the 1970s.  And that's saying something! Cheers -- Phil

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 12:36:16 AM »
 :roll:

Offline jdflyer

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 12:59:16 AM »
Am I the only one who's thinking where is a workman with a ladder?  I would happily climb down a ladder to the tarmac rather than being held in that plane for 7 hours with overflowing toilets.  C'mon people, what are we are? Sheep?  What are they going to do? Arrest me for not wanting to be held hostage!!  This is preposterous!

Offline NoMad

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »
If I were the captain, I would have conspired with my crew to solve this in a matter of minutes.  Strike a match in the lav, let it burn out, and flush it.  Smoke alarm and a burning odor.  Quick, everybody off, call the buses!

Offline phil-s

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »
That might have worked just fine. Except that lieing to federal officers is a serious crime these days, often more easily and vigourously prosecuted than the original infraction. .

Offline Rick108

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »
What about, as PIC, just declaring an emergency and deplaning the passengers, then asking for some busses to get them off the tarmac?  How could ATC refuse THAT request??? Emergency due to wide-spread passenger uprising or something - heck, doesn't a plane-load of people without food, water, and toilets already constitute an emergency anyway?

Offline robert321

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »
ATC doesn't refuse the deplaning of passengers......

Offline scarface6640

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 05:45:25 PM »
That might have worked just fine. Except that lieing to federal officers is a serious crime these days, often more easily and vigourously prosecuted than the original infraction. .

So the Answer to this is don't talk until you have counsel present or at least consulted with them and "you believed there to be an emergency afoot". 18 USC 1001