Author Topic: JBU654 - ERJ-190 - KJFK - Aug 31st 2009 - smoke in cabin followed by loss comm  (Read 10951 times)

kea001

A Jetblue Embraer ERJ-190, registration N249JB performing flight B6-654 from New York JFK,NY to Rochester,NY (USA), had just departed JFK's runway 31L and was climbing through 3000 feet, when the crew requested an immediate return reporting smoke in the cabin. After receiving vectors for downwind to runways 31 the crew could no longer be heard on the radios, but was able to acknowledge instructions via the transponder ident. The departure controller coordinated the return clearing both runways 31L and 31R issuing an according landing clearance and asking the crew to monitor tower frequency again. After the tower reissued the landing clearance, the Jetblue crew was able to regain full radio communication. The airplane landed safely on runway 31R 8 minutes after liftoff and stopped on the runway to have emergency services check out the airplane. Emergency services reported, that the smoke had dissipated. The aircraft taxied off the runway to the ramp about 3 minutes after landing followed by emergency vehicles.

A replacement Embraer ERJ-190 registration N267JB reached Rochester with a delay of 2:45 hours.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=41f1f2b4&opt=1
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:05:52 PM by kea001 »

Offline evilcuban

I heard that live but wasn't able to post it.  All involved did a great job.  Thanks for the post!

Offline glencar

How far do these recording go back? I had a JetBlue with smoke in the cockpit the Saturday before that infamous St. Valentine's Day ice storm that put the kibosh on all those Jet Blue flights.

kea001

How far do these recording go back? I had a JetBlue with smoke in the cockpit the Saturday before that infamous St. Valentine's Day ice storm that put the kibosh on all those Jet Blue flights.

I could tell you but you would do much better to read the FAQ page to answer all of your questions.

Frequently Asked Questions:
http://www.liveatc.net/forums/frequently-asked-questions-(faq)/

Offline aevins

That is one of the more incredible recordings I've heard. Excellent job on the controllers part! Someone nominate this guy for an Archie League award.

Offline danwaudi

Might want to flip the mic switch to O2 mask after you don O2 masks in an emergency!

Offline Bags

Might want to flip the mic switch to O2 mask after you don O2 masks in an emergency!

190 O2 mask has a hot mic.  no switch to flip