Author Topic: JBU139 Gear Warning - Diverts to Buffalo  (Read 15831 times)

Offline dska22

JBU139 Gear Warning - Diverts to Buffalo
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
Here is the edited sample of JBU139, my flight to New York this morning.  Needless to say, flight 139 never ended up bringing me there as it diverted back to Buffalo with emergency equipment on the field.  Though a relatively benign situation, I found it quite fun as it was my first diversion/emergency (not quite) landing.  The communications included here are from BUF Tower and Approach, though I couldn't get the initial declaration to Cleveland Center.  Enjoy!

Offline G35tar

Re: JBU139 Gear Warning - Diverts to Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »
Seems someone had a difficult time remembering their callsign.

Offline dska22

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:00:40 PM »
Seems someone had a difficult time remembering their callsign.

haha.  Yeah, I noticed that when I compiled this too.

Offline dska22

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »
So, any ideas on this whole gear issue which leads to altimeter warnings and then loss of RNAV?  I'm thoroughly confused.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »
It wasn't a gear issue.  It was a gear horn issue, which is driven by the RadAlt.  If the Rad Alt was saying they were at 800', then the gear horn would sound.  Moderate altitudes will generate a gear horn, low altitudes will generate some GPWS alerts.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Off the subject a bit, but if you pull the throttles to idle, and the gear is not down, that to will trigger a gear warning as well. Totally unrelated to the issue here, but I just thought I'd add that!  :wink:

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »
Off the subject a bit, but if you pull the throttles to idle, and the gear is not down, that to will trigger a gear warning as well. Totally unrelated to the issue here, but I just thought I'd add that!  :wink:

Hmmm, well, that's not exactly accurate.  Idle descents are quite common, and they don't want the gear horn going off.  Usually the horn won't start going off unless the flaps are at a certain position, the RadAlt is below a certain value, and the throttles are below a set mark.  It is actually a variable of all 3 of those.

Offline dska22

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »
Hey, thanks for the feedback!  Any ideas on the RNAV issue mentioned?  Thanks :)

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:36:22 PM »

Hmmm, well, that's not exactly accurate.  Idle descents are quite common, and they don't want the gear horn going off.  Usually the horn won't start going off unless the flaps are at a certain position, the RadAlt is below a certain value, and the throttles are below a set mark.  It is actually a variable of all 3 of those.

Ahh...yes...forgot about the flaps!  :wink: 

Offline DaytonaAirport

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 03:08:10 AM »
Not another JB gear issue! This incident reminds me of the JBU 292 incident.