Author Topic: IND/ZID Incorrect readback  (Read 36682 times)

Offline IndyTower

IND/ZID Incorrect readback
« on: July 14, 2005, 11:27:29 AM »
I debated whether or not to post this, as I didn't want to make either the pilot or the departure controller look bad.  But I decided to post it for educational purposes.  The ZID controller figured it out and fixed the mistake.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 02:58:59 PM by IndyTower »

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 02:41:10 PM »
I didn't hear any evidence of controller saying Atlanta, but Arlin.... That's what I heard.

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 03:39:11 PM »
Controller gave him:  "Cleared direct DAWNN, fly planned route."
FDX2707 responded:  "OK, we'll make a left turn to 175, we'll go to Atlanta."

DAWNN is the first intersection on the DAWNN departure.  So, the pilot should have read back "Cleared direct DAWNN" as he was never given clearance to go direct ATL.  Depature controller didn't pick up on that.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 01:54:11 PM »
Quote from: IndyTower
DAWNN is the first intersection on the DAWNN departure.  So, the pilot should have read back "Cleared direct DAWNN" as he was never given clearance to go direct ATL.  Depature controller didn't pick up on that.

Additionally, it is routine to receive the departure procedure as part of the instrument clearance, so this aircraft most likely received the DAWNN departure from Clearance Delivery.

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 03:10:47 PM »
Yeah I heard his clearance earlier and he was given the DAWNN3...thanks for pointing that out.  Even more reason the pilot should have gotten the clearance right.