airtraffic

Author Topic: IFR trip to Baton Rouge LA with ATC COMS - Video  (Read 10849 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
IFR trip to Baton Rouge LA with ATC COMS - Video
« on: June 20, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
IFR trip to KBTR Baton Rouge LA to meet up with a friend for lunch   KJAN approach, Memphis Center, Houston Center, Baton Rouge Approach, tower and ground handled me during this flight.

Video goes from take off to shut down.  Must have been a busy day at KBTR with approach asking for best forward speed so I did 110 knot final and Tower asking for a no delay exit off the runway.  Always fascinates me how ATC can work me in with the faster traffic!

Felt good to return to the airways  :-D after a month of down time.

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Re: IFR trip to Baton Rouge LA with ATC COMS - Video
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »
Progressive Taxiing - Return from KBTR - Video with ATC COMS

Return trip from Baton Rouge LA.

The lack of the plane starting warranted a tow down to maintenance.  Once the starting problem was fixed I picked up my IFR clearance with KBTR Ground. 

The video is focused on the progressive taxi instructions I received from ground with a progress path shown on the airport layout starting from the bottom right.

I had a friend with me who also is a pilot and I included our conversation while taxiing since there were two "noobs" bumbling around on the ground.  The person handling us did great on easing the stress getting from maintenance to the end of the runway by calling my turns per my request.  Dunno about others based in uncontrolled airports but operating on the ground for me at towered airports gives me the willies   :-D

Video ends with my IFR cancellation with KJAN approach. (KBTR ground, tower, approach, Houston Center, Memphis Center and KJAN handled me in this video.

Question for controllers!

In my last video after landing, I was told to contact ground while on the active runway.  I didn't think about it, but I did exactly what tower told me to do and that was to contact ground.  Should I have waited until taxiing a mile down the runway and exited the runway before contacting ground?

Another pilot thought I was to clear the runway before contacting ground even though in my initial call up I said I just landed on 22 right.

And if somebody could pass that word on to the KBTR ground controller an informal thanks for such a great job in easing that stress on taxiing (seen in this video), it sure would be great!

And of course any input most appreciated on helping me do a better job on my radio work!

kea001

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »
Don't take this as a criticism but I was hoping you might give us a shot of the meal you ate.
In fact, that would be an interesting youtube channel on it's own. Do restaurant reviews for pilots.

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:45:10 AM »
Don't take this as a criticism but I was hoping you might give us a shot of the meal you ate.
In fact, that would be an interesting youtube channel on it's own. Do restaurant reviews for pilots.

Are you kidding, I appreciate all feedback good, bad and the ugly on any of my videos!

I think you are right on that thought of video reviews for $100 hamburgers.  Either a individual channel or "Youtube Group" so others can add to the "database" of reviewed restuarants.