Author Topic: Hudson landing anniversary  (Read 17745 times)

Offline flyflyfly

Hudson landing anniversary
« on: January 15, 2014, 06:31:17 AM »
It's the fourth anniversary of the Hudson landing today (5 years ago).

Surely absolutely everyone here knows the ATC recordings. Back then, the NTSB released 3 separate tapes covering radio, phone and private communication of all involved ATC positions - covering the event itself and "aftermath".

Not sure though if anyone had ever synchronized and mixed all 3 tapes into a single file. I edited the attached file years ago, but never uploaded it (was before I knew about LiveATC :wink:). So, I'm taking the opportunity today (sorry though for reviving such an old and (in)famous event...).

The following positions are covered:
* LaGuardia: South TC, Ground+Local Control, Clearance Delivery and Cab Coordinator
* Teterboro: Area Supervisor and Local Control
* NY TRACON: LaGuardia Departure

When multiple positions are talking at the same time, using the stereo mixer to focus on a single position helps. Non-relevant communication is removed, so it's not in real-time. Original tapes covered about 45 minutes.

Offline oktalist

Re: Hudson landing anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »
Very nicely put together, thankyou.

But I couldn't hear South TC... that's the recording in which a helicopter in the class B airspace of LGA is passed traffic information about the A320 descending into the Hudson, and then observes the moment of ditching and reports the location.

Also I thought it was the FAA who released those tapes, not the NTSB.

Offline SASD209

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 02:01:43 AM »
I like the initial reaction of the TEB controller, but not so much the reactions and discussions of the other TEB personnel later on...  the discussions of "I'm not sure he can land here", "why doesnt he go to LGA", etc. As far as I am concerned, the only talk should have been along the lines of "He's coming here, let's get our stuff together and get ready", not debating if he should land there. Great audio compilation, these are just my random thoughts.

SASD209

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 03:47:46 AM »
But I couldn't hear South TC... that's the recording in which a helicopter in the class B airspace of LGA is passed traffic information about the A320 descending into the Hudson, and then observes the moment of ditching and reports the location.

Also I thought it was the FAA who released those tapes, not the NTSB.

Well spotted, both correct. Of course it's FAA. Also, I checked the transcripts, and indeed the "Class Bravo Airspace Position Audio" released by the FAA is not included in the edited file. Maybe I wasn't done back then when I edited the file - or maybe I just forgot. Original sources and transcripts are still available here - if someone wanted to edit an even more complete mix ;-):
http://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident/1549/

Offline Fred_Garvin

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:33:52 AM »
I like the initial reaction of the TEB controller, but not so much the reactions and discussions of the other TEB personnel later on...  the discussions of "I'm not sure he can land here", "why doesnt he go to LGA", etc. As far as I am concerned, the only talk should have been along the lines of "He's coming here, let's get our stuff together and get ready", not debating if he should land there. Great audio compilation, these are just my random thoughts.

SASD209

I believe you are hearing a cascading effect of various people hearing about a quickly evolving emergency for the first time.   Their situational awareness is not the same as someone who has been listening on frequency to the event from the start.

This is still great to listen to, a lot of folks in the air and in the towers brought their A game that day.  Thanks for compiling this.

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 02:36:13 PM »
Happy anniversary: it's been 10 years now since the 'miracly on the hudson'! ;-)

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
Can't believe 10 years have passed already... :roll: :roll:

Happy Birthday N106US!