Author Topic: How not to arrive at Oshkosh  (Read 28102 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

How not to arrive at Oshkosh
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:45:16 PM »
This is how not to arrive at Oshkosh during EAA Air Venture, the busiest airspace in the country for this week.

In the middle of the clip there are a couple of exchanges that have been partially blocked by other frequency activity (other frequency activity has been removed), so it may seem like it is skipping a bit (it is not).   You still should get the idea, though.     

Even after landing, the pilot demonstrates his unfamiliarity with the arrival NOTAM.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Re: How not to arrive at Oshkosh
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:56:45 PM »
Ouch...thanks Peter, that was very painful to listen to.  I almost had to turn it off several times but I hung in there and made it to the end.  That pilot's just lucky the airport was not very busy at the time or he'd still be circling over New Hopestein. :roll:

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:29:42 PM »
It was painful.  My favorite moment is when the controller changed the pilot to runway 18 L, to which the pilot then asked if it was a taxiway.  The controller responded that it was a runway today and the pilot went on a little rant about "its damn confusing when you refer to it..."

Sheesh...

Offline flyer_d

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 03:49:04 PM »
That's a great one.  Listening to that ought to be a requirement of next year's NOTAM.  The best advice (and the advice he should have listened to) was the advice at the very beginning -- go back and get the NOTAM!

Did anyone catch the full tail number?

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 06:01:09 PM »
Did anyone catch the full tail number?

As an act of consideration for the pilot I purposely cut the full tail ID out when I made the clip (it was only used once at the initial call-up by both ATC and pilot).  If you are really interested you will need to go back to the original archive at this site, where it exists in infamy, or at least until the archive rolls off in less than seven days.   :) 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:02:47 PM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline JimNtexas

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 05:12:55 PM »
I heard that live, it made my skin crawl.  I was amazed at how patient the controllers were. 

Even if the guy forget the notam, he should not have kept keying the mike and babbling at the world's most busy airport!

Offline Claire1000

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 06:33:14 PM »
What is crazy to me, is obviously that guy is not a low time pilot (or he has exceptional radio skills for a low timer). I shutter to think what he does elsewhere in flying. I almost imagine airlines or military, failing to realize his right of way is not applicable here. Maybe not though, he is wordy. Oh no, oh no.

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 12:40:54 AM »
Another example of unprepared occupants of aircraft approaching Air Venture was captured on Avweb.  I copied the following: 

Short Final
AirVenture, some pilots just don't get it.

On the return home Saturday I heard the following exchange as I headed southbound passing Madison, WI. Warrior 98765 was heading north and already receiving a Flight Following Service from Madison Approach.

Warrior 123: Madison, Warrior 123. Can you tell me if there is a NOTAM or anything for getting into Oshkosh?
Madison Approach: Say Again ...

Warrior 765: Yeah. Can you tell me if there is any kind of special NOTAM for getting into Oshkosh today?

[Long Pause]

Madison Approach: You're kidding, right?

Warrior 765: No, my [garbled] was out and I couldn't get anything before I took off. Can you tell me what the arrival procedure is?

[Longer Pause]

Madison Approach: (speaking slowly) I suggest you land before you get there and get a copy. There's one here at Wisconsin Aviation ... or Middleton is in your 10 o'clock.

Warrior 765: Standby ...

Offline mash333

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »
aaaaaahhhhhhh......somebody shoot me...resussitate me..then shoot me again!!!..is this guy for real?....ahhhhhhhhh...I can't stop screamin'....for the love of God...READ THE NOTAM!....I'm surprised the controller didn't hang himself......aaahhhhh

Offline lostmoon

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 12:45:29 PM »
Hmmm. Poor chap, he must be very nervous or very new. Or, just bad pilot training. Good luck next time fella.

Offline cessnapilot72

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 04:22:51 AM »
We all have bad days, but flying into OshKosh, I'd be darn sure that that particular day would not be one of them...

Offline pilotkent

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 07:22:22 PM »
As an act of consideration for the pilot I purposely cut the full tail ID out when I made the clip (it was only used once at the initial call-up by both ATC and pilot). 

Frankly, there should be no consideration for people like this. OSH is some VERY VERY busy airspace, and the procedures must be followed to the letter or people die. He should have gotten a clue when the controller said "I advise you go back to the airport and get it [the NOTAM]."

Offline slushie

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 02:15:03 PM »
holy crap.
I thought everybody else complaining while we circled around green lake was bad.
This guy is...dang. :?

Sounds like it was during one of the less busy periods.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:17:58 PM by slushie »