airtraffic

Author Topic: Helicopter N55TV Boston Commons precautionary landing  (Read 17036 times)

Offline almostCPL

Helicopter N55TV Boston Commons precautionary landing
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:06:11 AM »
WCVB's Sky 5 helicopter, a Eurocopter AS350B, precautionary landing in the Boston Commons
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/station/9542936/detail.html

Offline vb105

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:16:15 PM by vb105 »

Offline SASD209

Re: Helicopter N55TV Boston Commons precautionary landing
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:52:54 AM »
I like how he calls a 'mayday' and for a minute (less...seemed like a minute!) or so it's business as usual in the tower....
I thought a mayday call stops everything until the mayday is resolved?

Offline klkm

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »
It seemed like the first mayday call was blocked by the towers landing clearance, the second one did not include a callsign and the tower controller began asking all the aircraft and helicopters on her frequency if they needed assistance.  Did not seem like business as usual, when you are asking everyone if they just called mayday or if you heard a mayday...

TC

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »
I like how he calls a 'mayday' and for a minute (less...seemed like a minute!) or so it's business as usual in the tower....
I thought a mayday call stops everything until the mayday is resolved?

You thought wrong.  One doesn't have the luxury of having all other moving aircraft just stop in mid-air while one sorts out the mayday.  This controller was working two positions.  There are aircraft in flight.  The mayday was another (highest priority) duty that she had to handle.  As klkm correctly points out, she handled it as best she could considering the 1st call was blocked, there was no call sign, etc.  1st thing she did, as I hear it, was try to find out who had the mayday call.  She CORRECTLY surmised it was one of the helos she was working and called 0FB who told her he thought it was 5tv.  And she was on it like white on rice.

But thanks for your critique of her performance.  Those of us who work with her think she did a great job, and I'm glad she knows that.

Offline Hollis

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »
I agree with TC. She did what she could with what she had, which wasn't much.
I can relate to both her situation as well as the pilot's, having 'been there, done that' on more than one occasion, on both sides of the mic.

Offline UA777222

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:37:02 AM »
When he called Mayday he was giving a courtesy to the tower to let them know of his intentions. He did as he should and aviated through his situation first and informed the tower when he was able.

He was stepped on the first time and it doesn't sound like gave a tail number the second. Both did as they should and the pilots in the air were clearly aware of their surroundings--as they should be--and directed the controller to the proper aircraft in trouble.

Offline Itsmy6

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »
Very good find and she did an amazing job on pinpointing who called out the mayday.