Author Topic: heathrow director  (Read 16452 times)

Offline retro11

heathrow director
« on: August 14, 2011, 03:32:10 PM »
a little clip of the director freq during the usual thunderstorms that build up over the summer months, nothing
unusual in the clip but a lot of people ask for LHR audio so heres some late summer inbounds to 27L its 5 mins
long but hope you get feel for it thanks...

Offline mrhahn

Re: heathrow director
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:55:34 AM »
Very cool, was this 120.4?

Offline NoMad

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
Is this legal to have posted here?

Offline philip

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:40:13 AM »
It's not live, so I think its ok, I'll be putting up 6 hours of video and London ATC from heathrow airport that I recorded all day opposite the runway at the hotel.  Had the scanner on full blast you could standing outside the door so it's not really that illegal  :-)

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Can someone explain to me (I'm just a dumb U.S. airline pilot), what is "director" and what does he do?

Offline ogogog

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
Can someone explain to me (I'm just a dumb U.S. airline pilot), what is "director" and what does he do?

its the same as a arrival controller in the US, all they do is sequence aircraft on the final to a rwy, or as the Brits call it radar directing aircaft to final.

OG

Offline retro11

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
in the uk we use approach and director , different from the US/canada who as most of you know use
arrival and final , the director has the same job as final controler feeding the a/c in towards the ILS

Offline Casper87

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:16:21 PM »
A Director is one who utlises radar to sequence arrivals only (however that's not always the case; the Southerly Heathrow position works outbounds to CPT on Easterlies).
In the UK we use a variety of callsigns for approach radar positions:

Radar
Director
Talkdown (Mil)
Zone (Mil)
Approach (Historically used for when the unit is providing a Procedural Approach Service)

C

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 08:04:59 PM »
in the uk we use approach and director , different from the US/canada who as most of you know use
arrival and final , the director has the same job as final controler feeding the a/c in towards the ILS

Ahhh!  That was going to be my next question.  So "director" is the British equivalent to "Final" in the US

Offline Casper87

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »
Yea pretty much. Not quite sure how it works in the US; whether  'Final' is always the last radar postion to work traffic onto the ILS. But in the UK at some units we have Intermediate and Final Directors.

C

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 09:10:48 AM »
It's not live, so I think its ok, I'll be putting up 6 hours of video and London ATC from heathrow airport that I recorded all day opposite the runway at the hotel.  Had the scanner on full blast you could standing outside the door so it's not really that illegal  :-)

It's not live, which is fine.  So it stays.