Author Topic: JFK Cayman/Lan Chile NMAC radar/ATC tapes  (Read 23461 times)

Offline cessna157

• facebook
JFK Cayman/Lan Chile NMAC radar/ATC tapes
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »
Just found this little gem out there.  Back in July 2008 a Cayman airways (CAY792) a B-737-300 was on the VOR22L approach into JFK, was too high and elected to go around.  Unfortunately, a Lan Chile B-767-300 (LAN533) was on the departure roll from 13R.

This file is from the FAA and is the RADAR tape and ATC recording from New York Approach.

It is quite a large file though.  It is also in the .EXE format, which will automatically open into its own player.

djmodifyd

Re: JFK Cayman/Lan Chile NMAC radar/ATC tapes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
ive seen this before 

they played it in one of our briefings.  scary stuff

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
Well, I stated this before when this event happened, but these 2 planes weren't really that close to each other.  Yes, they were close.  But when LGA is landing 22 and departing 13, planes get that close every 2 minutes.  Yes, at LGA it is more orchestrated and controlled than this event, but I think some in the media overreacted a bit.

djmodifyd

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »
Well, I stated this before when this event happened, but these 2 planes weren't really that close to each other.  Yes, they were close.  But when LGA is landing 22 and departing 13, planes get that close every 2 minutes.  Yes, at LGA it is more orchestrated and controlled than this event, but I think some in the media overreacted a bit.

media always over reacts

we have crossing runways just like LGA

landing 31 departing 23....or any combination with the 2 runways

it can get hairy sometimes...

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
Cayman also decided not to tell the controller they were going around until moments after.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »
Cayman also decided not to tell the controller they were going around until moments after.

Well, in their defense, the first few seconds of a go around is instantaneously an extremely high workload enviornment transitioning the aircraft from an approach mode to either a windshear escape mode or climb mode.  Flying the aircraft comes first (you may have heard about an incident with an RJ go around at LGA in Sept or Oct).  Communications is somewhere on the list, just not at the top.

djmodifyd

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »

Well, in their defense, the first few seconds of a go around is instantaneously an extremely high workload enviornment transitioning the aircraft from an approach mode to either a windshear escape mode or climb mode.  Flying the aircraft comes first (you may have heard about an incident with an RJ go around at LGA in Sept or Oct).  Communications is somewhere on the list, just not at the top.

makes total sence

i see that alot when i give alot of instructions at once...there will be a LONG pause in the readback...but the plane does it anyway...

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:04:59 PM »
Yeah, that's an advantage of a 2 pilot crew.  1 person is flying, 1 person is on the radio.  So usually the pilot flying is doing the instruction before or during the readback by the other guy

Offline delta092b

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:59:18 PM »
Why is the file attachment an .exe ??? Can we stick to video/sound files rather than something that could be a ticking bomb (aka virus).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:00:51 PM by delta092b »

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »
Why is the file attachment an .exe ??? Can we stick to video/sound files rather than something that could be a ticking bomb (aka virus).

I pulled it from the FAA's website.  I thought they're already a ticking time bomb

Offline delta092b

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 11:30:29 PM »
hahah

Offline darry2385

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »
Any way this could get re-uped in something other tan .exe? I can't open it on my Mac.

djmodifyd

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »

I pulled it from the FAA's website.  I thought they're already a ticking time bomb

baaaahahahahahaha

so true....so true

djmodifyd

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »

it is a radar video file as well...these are the file the FAA shows us during our briefings