Author Topic: Got buzzed by Sully Sullenberger  (Read 20340 times)

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
Got buzzed by Sully Sullenberger
« on: August 01, 2009, 01:03:29 PM »
I was on vectors for the approach into Half Moon Bay while US Air 1701 was being vectored into KSFO. Is this Sully? You tell me.

Someone else picked this up and emailed it to me.

From this page at 4:20 in the video; http://160knots.com/half%20moon%20bay.htm

Attached is the cropped version.

Frank Holbert
http://160knots.com
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:05:56 PM by fholbert »

Offline aevins

Re: Got buzzed by Sully Sullenberger
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »
Certainly sounds like him

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »
Sure sounds like him to me too...

kea001

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »
 Us Air 1701 flies From (CLT) Charlotte, NC, US to (DCA) Washington, DC, US  :?

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 05:20:11 PM »

It didn't that day. I'm the pilot of the Bellanca and I was on vectors to an approach in Northern California. Suggest you listen to the entire video on this page.

http://160knots.com/half%20moon%20bay.htm 

If NorCal Approach was working someone into Charlotte he had the worlds biggest sector. 

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »
This is pretty cool.  According to AVweb, Sully and Jeff Skiles announced at AirVenture Oshkosh on Thursday that Sully will return to the line in September.  This flight will also be Sully's final flight before retirement.  F/O Skiles said that he would like to be in the right seat for this flight.

w0x0f

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »
This is pretty cool.  According to AVweb, Sully and Jeff Skiles announced at AirVenture Oshkosh on Thursday that Sully will return to the line in September.  This flight will also be Sully's final flight before retirement.  F/O Skiles said that he would like to be in the right seat for this flight.

w0x0f

Why has he not flown since the accident?

I should also point out for others the video the sound track came from was shot before Sully landed in the river.

kea001

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 10:07:24 AM »
Us Air 1701 flies From (CLT) Charlotte, NC, US to (DCA) Washington, DC, US  :?

It didn't that day. I'm the pilot of the Bellanca and I was on vectors to an approach in Northern California. Suggest you listen to the entire video on this page.

http://160knots.com/half%20moon%20bay.htm  

If NorCal Approach was working someone into Charlotte he had the worlds biggest sector.  

I watched it all and more than a few times. I just thought they were both making a mistake on the flight # like what happened on the Hudson.  

Thanks for the awesome video. It looks to me that when you set up for that approach, you have to sidestep to the runway. Is that correct or am I just imagining things?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:13:54 AM by kea001 »

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
It looks to me that when you set up for that approach, you have to sidestep to the runway. Is that correct or am I just imagining things?

The final approach course is about 15* different than the runway heading. One comes in at an angle.

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »
Sully has a unique voice and that sure does sounds like him.

Offline Delta767300

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
I was on vectors for the approach into Half Moon Bay while US Air 1701 was being vectored into KSFO. Is this Sully? You tell me.

Someone else picked this up and emailed it to me.

From this page at 4:20 in the video; http://160knots.com/half%20moon%20bay.htm

Attached is the cropped version.

Frank Holbert
http://160knots.com

I hear US 1703, not 1701.

Offline cptkirk

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »

I hear US 1703, not 1701.
[/quote]

I hear 1701.  right at the 4:20 mark and what really does sound like Sully replies at about 4:27 or so.  This is a cool find if that really is Sully.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:12:53 PM by cptkirk »

Offline Amante de Aviones

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
This was obviously a while ago as US Air is no longer their callsign

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:27 AM »
Hudson River miracle pilot will fly again
US Airways' Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger is going back to work as a management pilot.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger will fly again. The US Airways pilot who safely landed flight 1549 on the Hudson River in January will return to work as a management pilot, the airline announced Monday.

In addition to flying for the airline, Sullenberger will also be part of US Airways' (LCC, Fortune 500) operations safety management team.

"US Airways is an industry leader when it comes to safety and Sully is an excellent addition to the team," said Chairman and CEO Doug Parker in a statement.

When flight 1549's engines shut down after colliding with a flock of birds, Sullenberger took over the controls from First Officer Jeffery Sikes and guided the plane to an emergency water landing. All 155 passengers aboard the flight survived.

"The months since January 15 have been very full, and my family and I have had some unforgettable experiences," Sullenberger said in a prepared statement. "However, I have missed working with my colleagues at US Airways and I am eager to get back in the cockpit with my fellow pilots in the months ahead. In my new role, I will continue to be the same kind of advocate for aviation safety that I have been for several decades."

In February, Sullenberger and his crew members, except Doreen Welsh, a 38-year veteran flight attendant, told CNN's Larry King that they would return to work at some point.