airtraffic

Author Topic: Golf or Foxtrot  (Read 31579 times)

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Golf or Foxtrot
« on: April 20, 2006, 08:52:45 PM »
Does anyone know what she means by "are you a golf or foxtrot"?

See http://www.liveatc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1798 for previous discussion.

Offline CYTZ

Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:53:10 AM »
This is right in my backyard, as I fly out of City Center (CYTZ). Every Canadian Reg plane starting with either Charlie Gulf (C-GXXX) or Charlie Fox (C-FXXX). The City Center Controller was thus just trying to verify what the exact reg on the plane was. As SOP for Cdn reg planes usually is to just give your last 3 letters when talking to a Canadian ATC, the city tower controller was just looking for some clarification.

Hope this helps

Ted

Offline b773

Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 09:51:26 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the SOP to give the last 4 letters and only shorten to 3 if initiated by ATC?  At least that's the way we do it at Buttonville (CYKZ).

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:40:20 AM »
Quote from: b773
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the SOP to give the last 4 letters and only shorten to 3 if initiated by ATC?  At least that's the way we do it at Buttonville (CYKZ).

Yes, you're correct. Infact, there is even two questions on the PSTAR test about it.

Always give the last four letters until truncated by ATC. I've caught ATC at Buttonville *not* truncating it sometimes... so you gotta stick with the full one.

Offline penguin44

Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 03:30:04 PM »
Cool too see some fellow Buttonville flyers here!

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 05:48:42 PM »
Quote from: penguin44

I thought I was the only one ;) I take it you fly out of YKZ too?

There used to be a Buttonville feed here, but no more. I'm trying to find some people who live near the airport to host the computer+scanner so that we can get it up again.

Offline CYTZ

Oops
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 10:50:01 AM »
Oops, yeah that was a tyop...I meant to say that SOP was that 4 letters were spoken to Canadian ATC, whereas in the US, its one says (Canadian, (G)(F)XXX. :)

Ted

Offline penguin44

Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 04:43:41 PM »
Quote from: bcrosby

There used to be a Buttonville feed here, but no more. I'm trying to find some people who live near the airport to host the computer+scanner so that we can get it up again.

I also thought I was the only one as well!!! Yeah I fly out of YKZ. I keep hoping for the feed to go back up. I would do it but I am a tad far from the airport like Don Mills and York Mills.

I am usually there on Tues and Thurs at 1 for lessons. I am almost complete. We should meet up. Feel free to email me.

Offline b773

Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 07:17:29 PM »
Yeah I fly out of YKZ as well.  I'm close to finishing up too.  I usually fly on the weekends in the mornings.  I love flying out of YKZ.  Gets really busy sometimes doesn't it!!  The list of feeds shows YTZ/YKZ but I've never really seen it up though.

Offline penguin44

Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 10:39:22 PM »
Neither have I. Just got a scanner for my bday on Tuesday. ar-108 and I can pick up 124.8 pretty clearly. Although some static due to height and distance.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 11:10:46 PM »
Yeah I fly out of YKZ as well.  I'm close to finishing up too.  I usually fly on the weekends in the mornings.  I love flying out of YKZ.  Gets really busy sometimes doesn't it!!  The list of feeds shows YTZ/YKZ but I've never really seen it up though.

Yeah.. its a great airport.. I love it when the circuit is busy though ;)

I believe the person who used to run the YKZ feed moved.

Offline b773

Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »

Yeah.. its a great airport.. I love it when the circuit is busy though ;)

I believe the person who used to run the YKZ feed moved.

I know what you mean.  A couple of weeks back when I was coming in from the north and 15 was the active, I was told to cross over head the field and join the right downwind.  A couple of planes behind me were told to do the same!  Usually I get a simple join the left base.  The downside to a busy circuit is the long wait on the ground for takeoff clearance.  But the ATC guys are great in trying to clear you as soon as possible.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 01:20:48 PM »
I think my record was number 5 to land, there were two on final 1 on base, another ahead of me in the downwind.

It's not all cessnas either. I've taken off behind a helicopter, and landed behind a jet (Think it was a gulfstream or learjet - following that thing in the circuit was scary).

That is partially the reason why I'm trying to find someone to host the feed for that airport. It's always active, with a wide variety of aircraft buzzing around. Not to mention the fact that there seems to be quite a few people in these forums that live around, or fly out of that airport.

:)

Offline kkjlai

Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 02:34:55 PM »

That is partially the reason why I'm trying to find someone to host the feed for that airport. It's always active, with a wide variety of aircraft buzzing around. Not to mention the fact that there seems to be quite a few people in these forums that live around, or fly out of that airport.

Isn't the CZYZ feed already covering CYKZ as well?

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 11:04:20 PM »
Quote from: kkjlai
Isn't the CZYZ feed already covering CYKZ as well?

Yes and no.

I asked Buzz to add it to the list, however his antenna/scanner can't pick it up.

Offline kkjlai

Re: Golf or Foxtrot
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 09:10:49 AM »
Speaking of CYKZ, yesterday (May27)was probably the first time I heard all 3 frequencies (124.8,119.9,121.8 MHz) all in use at once..  The ATC was extreamlly busy with all the flights (trainings?) and traffics around the area..  It is probably caused by the whole week(s) of bad weather and yesterday was such a good day for flying in weeks..  :-)

I guess.. at the peak of the traffic, CYKZ was the most busy airport in Canada for an hour or so..  Aircraft movement every 30 seconds...   :roll:

Offline spallanzani

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 01:47:49 AM »
I know that. I flew at CYHU on saturday and it was full of traffic too because of the sudden good weather.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 08:42:46 AM »
Speaking of CYKZ, yesterday (May27)was probably the first time I heard all 3 frequencies (124.8,119.9,121.8 MHz) all in use at once..

I was trying to practice short field take-offs during that mess. It was insane. The tower was split (as you mentioned). 119.9 was working the circuit, t-o/landings, while 124.8 was working traffic wanting to enter into the control zone.

I wrote about it in my blog at http://fly.blakecrosby.com/2006/05/busy_day.html

The majority of the traffic was due to the Poker Run (which I explain in the link above).

Offline Love_To_Fly

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 11:06:09 AM »

I'm training out of buttonville also!  I flew yesterday.   It is a very active airport, always something going on!