Author Topic: Weird JFK Emergency Yesterday around 5:10 PM "give me 31R or I'll declare"  (Read 141549 times)

Offline mrezee

What an asshole.

Offline ridejumpfly

To add some info on this..  I checked the flight history in SABRE (AAL reservation system that shows the out and off, on and in times.  The flight was push back to take off in less then 10 min in LAX.  After declaring the emergency he arrived at the gate over 10 min early.  If there was a min fuel issue it would be very strange.  

-Ridejumpfly

Offline mikenftsmith

What an asshole.

I don't think we need to start making  disparaging comments about the crew,we were not there. The pilot in command determined his aircraft was in a emergency situation and according to the FAR's exercised his right to land his aircraft on the runway he felt necessary. Until we see a report or here from the crew involved we haft too leave it at that.   

Offline AviatorJud

What an asshole.

I don't think we need to start making  disparaging comments about the crew,we were not there. The pilot in command determined his aircraft was in a emergency situation and according to the FAR's exercised his right to land his aircraft on the runway he felt necessary. Until we see a report or here from the crew involved we haft too leave it at that.   

Yes, well, due to the resourcefulness of the members here and the length of this thread, I think we have a pretty good picture of the situation.  While we obviously can't and won't know everything that went on in that cockpit, using the available information and our brains, I think we can REASONABLY conclude that for SOME reason the pilot was in a foul mood and decided to use his unquestionable power to declare an emergency simply to expedite the landing of his plane.  Similar to when cops turn on their emergency lights to avoid traffic.  I believe it was an irresponsible act that affected and possibly endangered everyone else in the airspace.  Further, any pilot who declares a real emergency and is still able to clearly communicate gives SOME idea of what the emergency is.  I've listened to hundreds of them, and SOME information about the nature is always given.  Clearly the tower was of the opinion it wasn't real too because they didn't even ask.  Based on everything in this thread, including my personal interpretation of the pilot's tone of voice and attitude over the radio, all of this is not at all an unreasonable assumption.  But of course it is still just an assumption.  Of course, there will always be people who will defend one side or the other in the face of overwhelming evidence either way.      Besides...a lot of AA pilots really are assholes.  :wink:

Offline SooLineRob

Besides...a lot of AA pilots really are assholes.  :wink:

Nice. Thanks for stopping by!

Offline Eric M

I'm sure AviatorJud meant his last editorial remark with humor, and I took it as such - but it got me to thinking that there are unpleasant pilots all over the place. Does American have more than their fair share?

Offline AviatorJud

I'm sure AviatorJud meant his last editorial remark with humor, and I took it as such - but it got me to thinking that there are unpleasant pilots all over the place. Does American have more than their fair share?

Indeed, it was meant as humor.  However, anecdotally, AA does seem to tip the scale for some reason.  But maybe that's just too much hangar talk.

Offline idriveplanes

Someone's recentish post mentioning the chock-to-chock time for the flight was a very interesting point, and it helped the opinion that fuel = no issue.  This clip has interested me for some time now.

The irritation in the pilot's voice is there, and I have enjoyed this thread's abundance of ideas towards figuring out the cause of his irritation!

I'm a skydive pilot.  My vote: the pilot may have had a genuine issue, but had limited regard for the operational effects he was incurring, solely due to his inefficient communicating.

If there's any follow-up to this incident, I may need help finding it please.

Offline ZBWDO

Anyone ever hear more about what happened to this pilot?

Offline flyflyfly

In another forum someone claimed the pilot was temporarily grounded without pay for this one. Hearsay though. And I can't even find the forum post now... But even if - it would still be hearsay. :wink: