Author Topic: Fedex MD11 at Memphis on Mar 1st 2012, major bird strike (audio and pictures)  (Read 36591 times)

Offline TangoWhiskey

A Federal Express (Fedex) McDonnell Douglas MD-11 freighter, registration N628FE performing flight FX-1427 from Memphis,TN to Austin,TX (USA) with 4 crew, was climbing through 9000 feet out of Memphis' runway 18R, when the crew reported a "major bird strike" by about 15 to 20 birds requiring the flight to return to the field. The crew reported they'd be landing heavy and requested runway 18C for the return.

The FAA reported the aircraft received minor damage to the horizontal stabilizer.

A replacement MD-11 registration N585FE reached Austin with a delay of 4:15 hours.

Audio with MEM Approach:  http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kmem/KMEM-Mar-01-2012-1000Z.mp3

Audio notes:  FX 1427 heavy checks in at 02:00; declares the bird strike at 04:33, is switched over to tower at 15:45 on the visual to 18C (longest runway).  The Tower archive has them checking in, but the audio quality is really weak.

Pictures:

Offline TangoWhiskey

Additional pictures.  They came close to ingesting...

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
ooooooooooh! That does not look good at all! Great job by the crew...

Offline flyflyfly

Excellent catch (photos and audio - not the poor birds...)!

Additional pictures.  They came close to ingesting...

Wow. And they were really only 'close to ingestion'? They were still incredibly lucky then. Or maybe the engines still ingested a few without taking damage?

Whuts_goingon

The FAA reported the aircraft received minor damage to the horizontal stabilizer.

Hmmmm, yeah, oh wait no I don't see the horizontal stabilizer here... Nice try FAA !

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
WOW.....
Aircraft Mechanic

Offline klasseman

so Wat are going to do with this plane?
do the a repair job on this one?  :roll:

Offline Eric M

I wondered the same thing. How much damage does it take to classify a plane as being beyond the point of repair?

Offline sykocus

I wondered the same thing. How much damage does it take to classify a plane as being beyond the point of repair?

that's up the ones who are paying for the repairs...the insurance company.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:18:01 PM by sykocus »
Yesterday I couldn't spell air traffic controller. Today I R one.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
My guess is they will repair it and return her to service. I do not think the structural integrity of the airframe has been compromised. 
Aircraft Mechanic

Offline klasseman

I thought so too, but I read somewhere on the Internet (FS24 forum?, not sure). that the MD-11 parts are hard to get, and that parts got more expensive.

i really hope that the are going to fix this plane...  i fly allot with klm MD-11 as a passenger.,, i love this type of plane

Offline XA-CMF

Is the audio still available? I get a 404 not found when clicking on the link above.

Offline ajntrain

As did I.

Offline af250xxl

Is the audio still available? I get a 404 not found when clicking on the link above.

wondering the same thing...

can the OP please re-upload the audio? ThankS!

That is one of the nastiest bird strike I've seen in many years..... :(  Glad the plane landed safely. :)

Offline ect76

• EGPH
Can anyone attach the archive clip to this post? It's been deleted from archives now!

Thanks!

Offline Bombex

Anyone have the clip?

Offline GREGORIVS

up for the clip ?

Offline RV2

Was this an Ostrich strike???!! Wow!!

Offline klasseman

i read allot of the same post's here. :roll:. there is no audio file!
so it's Better to close this topic.