airtraffic

Author Topic: F15 Engine Fire  (Read 15113 times)

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
F15 Engine Fire
« on: December 04, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »
Pretty intense video of an F15 with an engine fire making emergency landing into
KSZL. Ended up landing 100kts faster and over ran the runway. The pilot punches out at the end. Extracted the audio from the video in mp3 version.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
Re: F15 Engine Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:35:04 PM »
Wow, nice find.  very intense.

I'm glad to see when things start going south, I'm not the only one who talks to his airplane.

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »
Got my adrenaline going. Good clip. Tagged it as a favorite. Thanks!

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:07:07 PM »
great catch .   the pilots breathing sound makes it very intense  .

Offline goowe

• AltonAnderson.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:16:16 PM »
Wow. My heart was racing by the end of the movie.

Offline mhawke

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »
Nice catch...

As former military, its always intersting to hear how calm someone can sound when the whole world appears to be coming apart around them.  I've notived professional pilots have the same affect.

The CO on my boat (submarine for those of you not familar with the Navy), always use to comment that the best people on the public address circuits were the ones who sounded bored while standing in the middle of a fire, because it kept everyone else calm and thinking also.

In the video, what made me think of that was his wingman saying "It's still on fire, you're choice but think about it when the air flow stops" implying you might want to punch out now, but hey it's no big deal that your engine is still on fire even though you shut it down and pulled the bottle.

Mike

Offline snipper_cr

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 02:10:25 AM »
Holy $#%#$. My heart was pounding on that one.

Those last few seconds when he puts it down on the runway were crazy... especially when he ejects and you see the camera angle basically laying on the ground.

Any idea why the brakes did not work?

Offline atcman23

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 08:29:45 AM »
Wow, amazing video!  And the brakes didn't work probably because he landed near 350 kts and tried to stop, so he probably burned the brakes up too.  I did kinda chuckle with the computer called "Bingo Fuel" right after the pilot ejected.  Good fuel planning.

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »
Yea this has to be one of my favs. Still not sure why he punched out.

Offline penguin44

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 06:25:56 PM »
Not from my experience, but from talking to other military pilots, on their checklist is basically this. Comfirm Fire: Eject.

Offline pwr2al4

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 08:08:16 AM »
Yea this has to be one of my favs. Still not sure why he punched out.

Take a look at his airspeed. He hit the threshold at close to 300 knots. By the time he ran out of runway he was only able to get it down to about 210 or so. Would you wanna go offroading in an out of control F-15 going 240 mph while completely engulfed in flames, of course you punch.

Besides once the aircraft slows down enough it gives the fire a chance to really take hold and spread.

iirc they gave him the option of punching out at around 7700 but he chose to ride it all the way down to the runway...