airtraffic

Author Topic: End of an Era - CO86 lands at EWR  (Read 49225 times)

Offline derekjackson

End of an Era - CO86 lands at EWR
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
The very last Continental flight landed at Newark a short time ago - here's the ATC recordings (as always, trimmed). Does anyone know what the tower controller said by "it could be worse, you could be (garbled)?

Offline AeroBill

Re: End of an Era - CO86 lands at EWR
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
Sounded like the controller said, "you could be Acey." Apparent reference to call sign change from Continental to United being better than getting the "Acey" call sign used by Atlantic Southeast Airlines.

Offline derekjackson

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:00:59 PM »
Thanks, that makes sense given the recent merger of Express Jet and ASA and they used the "Acey" call sign rather than "Jetlink"

Offline derekjackson

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »
Someone on airliners.net flew CO1612 from Tampa to Newark yesterday and said that an announcement was made that it was the last Continental departure before the switch. Someone else asked about ATC recordings so I did a quick check and there doesn't seem to be anything of note for that flight that I can find.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »
So Long COA!  :cry:
She joins TWA, Pan Am, Northwest, and several others...

Offline N0616JC

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:41:53 AM »
Ya, what a sad thing to happen. Hope that this merger was worth it. The only positive that I know of is the Channel 9 thing on the United IFE. BTW I made a "video" of the conversation. I try my best making out what they say. I have to say that the COA86 crew sounded much more clear than the controller for some reason that I don't know. Here is the Web address for the video:

Offline derekjackson

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:47:47 PM »
I have to say that the COA86 crew sounded much more clear than the controller for some reason that I don't know.

The reason is most likely that in the air, there is far less obstacles for the signal to reach the scanner for the EWR feed whereas on the ground there's more that can "get in the way" of the transmission.

Offline N0616JC

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
Replying to derekjackson:

Oh wow, I totally forgot about line of sight when it comes to radio communication.

Offline jjsz422

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »
COA1612 may have been the last Continental departure. Continental and United started operating under a SOC (single operating Certificate) on November 30, 2011 at 1200Z. Since United and Continental are global operations, this time was decided upon because it was the same date and time world wide. All flights that departed prior to that time continued to use the Continental call sign until the flight terminated. Any flights departing at or after were issued the United Call sign. While COA1612 was the last departure, COA86 had already been in the air having departed out of Shanghai, China. Having a 13 hour flight, COA86 became the last Continental arrival. 

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »
I heard him say "ACEY" as well.