airtraffic

Author Topic: Emergency landing on Major Deegan Expressway in Bronx, NY (Piper N9409J)  (Read 18761 times)

Offline brandonlive

Has anyone found clips of the emergency landing by a Piper in the Bronx earlier today?  CNN played a brief clip of a mayday directed at "tower."  They were supposedly trying to divert to LGA for the emergency landing but I didn't hear anything on LGA tower.

Offline Eric M

Re: Emergency landing on Major Deegan Expressway in Bronx, NY (Piper N9409J)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:00 AM »
Sorry to say that CNN credited "liveact.net" for the audio. :-(

Offline RonR

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
Wow, I live here and I didn't hear about this until I read your post!  Here's the CNN story:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/04/us/small-plane-new-york-highway/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:32:33 AM by ronr530 »

Offline RonR

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
This was a VFR flight along the Hudson River so they were talking to LaGuardia Tower (Class B) on 126.05, not the main tower frequency of 118.7.  Here's the audio...

Ron

Offline RonR

Offline MikeNYC

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Glad he made it down OK! Not a place I'd like to lose an engine. Thanks for pulling the clip, Ron. I really wish I could get better reception on that feed but new construction has gone up since the feed was installed, and there's now a skyscraper blocking the line of sight to LGA.

Offline RonR

Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »
I'm glad he made it too. He sounded just a little nervous when he called in the mayday...

I used to fly the sightseeing tour along the Hudson all the time. I found myself always looking around there for a place to put down in an emergency...it fortunately never came to that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Offline Rick108

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »
Fantastic job by the pilot here - not many places to go, and too far to glide to LGA at 1500'.  Happy to hear nobody got hurt.
And the story from Fox5 News here in NY...

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24364094/small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-nyc-highway
Twice Lidia calls it "...a Cessna-type plane..." in this story - I always wonder where reporters get this kind of bad information?

Offline stewartahunt

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »
>>Twice Lidia calls it "...a Cessna-type plane..." in this story - I always wonder where reporters get this kind of bad information?

Same place they get the phrase "crash" to describe a successful emergency landing, I suspect.

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
Or why they always say "near miss" instead of "near collision"... To my mind, any plane that has almost missed another has obviously failed to avoid hitting it. But no matter how you say it, the pilot setting that Archer down on the Major Deegan, especially in that area, did a good job, at least as far as the landing phase. Time will tell whether the trip planning, maintenance or pilot procedures led to the loss of power in the first place. Very rarely is engine failure truly an act of God.

Offline Eric M

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »
I notice the Piper's landing gear didn't appear to be dropped. Any idea why?

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »
I think the plane was reported to be a PA-180 (Archer), which is fixed gear, and I think I saw a wheel fairing in one of the photos. That also means it was not fuel injected and adds carburetor ice to the suspect list.