Air Traffic Monitoring > Aviation Audio Clips

ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter)

(1/5) > >>

dave:
Here is what an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) sounds like...this is the radio transmitter that starts transmitting on 121.5 when a plane crashes.

thehotshotpilot:
Every pilot needs to hear the sound of an ELT since you can only test it the first five minutes of the hour and many pilots have never heard one.

Jason:

--- Quote from: dave ---Here is what an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) sounds like...this is the radio transmitter that starts transmitting on 121.5 when a plane crashes.
--- End quote ---

Just want to clarify one thing Dave.  The ELT is activated upon a crash, but there are other cercumstances as well that can activate it.  A hard landing or impact to a hard surface also triggers the ELT.  It can also be activated manually be the pilot accidentily or for purpose.

dave:

--- Quote from: HPNPilot1200 ---
--- Quote from: dave ---Here is what an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) sounds like...this is the radio transmitter that starts transmitting on 121.5 when a plane crashes.
--- End quote ---

Just want to clarify one thing Dave.  The ELT is activated upon a crash, but there are other cercumstances as well that can activate it.  A hard landing or impact to a hard surface also triggers the ELT.  It can also be activated manually be the pilot accidentily or for purpose.
--- End quote ---

'tis true.  There is a maintenance window (first 5 minutes of each hour) where you will often hear them.

-dave

chief2009:
I have been on many searches for these infernal things. I had one where the wings were off of a Cub and it hadn't been flown in years, but somehow the ELT went off. :shock: I also had a guy who did a hard touch and go at night and set it off, we were chasing him over 3 states before he finally landed. :evil:  

Chief

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version