Author Topic: DLH412 oceanic reports?  (Read 14602 times)

Offline nico747

DLH412 oceanic reports?
« on: December 16, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
Hello everyone, I have a question, I would like to listen to the DLH412 position reports of today 12/16/2013. I do not know where to hear them and I do not know how to calculate at what time the plane will be overflying oceanic airspace.
Have a merry christmas and a happy new year

Offline InterpreDemon

Re: DLH412 oceanic reports?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
That flight is currently under Gander control. Best to search by facility "HF", then scroll down to NAT-A 5598 or NAT-B 5616

Offline nico747

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »
Quick question InterpreDemon, at what UTC  time do you think I could get the clip con liveatc
thanks!

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »
Looks like they passed 30W at about 1900Z, so any time from there forward. Problem with the westbound flights is no LiveATC out of GB, so it's difficult to get their initial HF frequency assignments for Shannon, and they were probably on higher daytime frequencies not covered well, but they should definitely have been with Gander from about 1800Z and New York from 2100Z onward on the lower frequencies. Just have to slug through the archives a half hour at a time... helps if you download them and open them with a wave editor so you can look at a graphical view of the file and pick out the voice transmissions from the noise. Some of the feeds use high RF gain along with strong AGC, which makes it difficult to visually separate the voice from the noise. I prefer to run much lower gain and slower AGC on my HF feeds for that reason... you don't hear them all but what you do hear stands out much better.

Online RonR

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, you might not hear any position reports at all if the flight is CPDLC.  The only thing you might hear is the flight checking in with Gander at 30W with a SELCAL check.  But if they are CPDLC, you probably won't hear anything after that.

Offline nico747

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
Well, it was worth asking, thanks for all your answers. By SELCAL you mean to that weird annoying sound they do?
Thanks again

Online RonR

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »
Yeah, it sounds like telephone touch tones.  Think of it as a paging system for aircraft.  Thanks to this system, the pilots don't have to listen to hours of HF static as they cross the Atlantic.  If a ground radio operator needs to contact a flight, they send out a pait of these tones that are specific to that plane to get the pilots attention.

CPDLC stands for Controller-Pilot Data Link Communications and is a data link between the aircraft and ground.  It is used among other things to automatically send position reports.

If you already knew all of this, please disregard this post  :-)

Ron

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
When beyond range of VHF ground stations, like way out over the ocean, CPDLC is via SATCOM or HFDL