Author Topic: Delta McDonnel Douglas MD-90 at Atlanta on Apr 27th rejected takeoff  (Read 8299 times)

Offline GeoffSM1

A Delta Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-90, registration N940DN performing flight DL-873 from Atlanta,GA to Miami,FL (USA), was cleared for takeoff from Atlanta's runway 27R. A Delta Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-88, registration N913DE performing flight DL-749 from Miami,FL to Atlanta,GA (USA), had landed on Atlanta's runway 27L and was taxiing along taxiway T towards the terminal approaching runway 27R (intersection of taxiway T with runway 27R about 3200 meters/10500 feet down the runway). Tower cleared the aircraft to cross runway 27R about 20 seconds after the takeoff clearance for DL-873 had been issued. Another 22 seconds later tower cancelled the takeoff clearance for flight DL-873 prompting the crew to reject takeoff at high speed (about 120 knots over ground). Tower subsequently apologized to DL-873, the aircraft vacated the runway onto taxiway M, tower again apologized stating it was his mistake. The tower controller was relieved from duty thereafter, another controller took charge of the frequency.
A passenger reported the crew of DL-873 announced they had rejected takeoff due to an administrative mistake by air traffic control.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:33:49 PM by GeoffSM1 »

Offline yrp

If you are going to cut / paste text from avherald, it is courteous to give credit.

Offline neurotech

Obligatory AvHerald link: http://avherald.com/h?article=4978a12f&opt=0

Its quite probable the above text came from AvHerald.

Offline GeoffSM1

You're both quite right of course. Unfortunately I lost my connection last night before I could complete the post.

Offline JTS97Z28

Obviously this was clearly the controllers fault. You can tell he was upset about it and was truly sorry. I know this is a mistake that just cant be made, but it does happen and I sorta feel bad for the guy. I wonder if he was able to get right back into work or if he is gonna need some time to recover. My hats off to the pilots for getting the job done and sounding very relaxed and cool with ATC considering the situation.
I know this is a bad mistake, but I bet this controller wont do it again!

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
The thing in aviation is that one mistake, hundreds of lives.

Fortunately, the ATC realized, stopped the departing aircraft and solved his own mistake on time. That's also for what professionals are trained. Not only to not make mistakes but also to solve bad situations.