airtraffic

Author Topic: DC-9 has trouble inbound to Buffalo  (Read 40497 times)

Offline dan9125

DC-9 has trouble inbound to Buffalo
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:52:59 PM »
This DC-9 ( Northwest ) had some problems while inbound to Buffalo this afternoon around 2:00pm. He had an autopilot malfunction as well as a few others. Any idea what might have gone wrong? He landed safely on Runway 23 around 2:10pm.
  Dan (KBUF )

Offline oktex88

Re: DC-9 has trouble inbound to Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:16:05 PM »
Some sort of control problem? Sounds wierd, I'd like to know what happened.

Offline EivlEvo

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »
Hey Dan... just a little while ago (The Rochester news is reporting via Yahoo) another NWA Aircraft had an engine light come on and declared an emergency into KROC.

2 NWA in 2 days one at KBUF and one at KROC.

Both landed safely, how do u like those odds.

~DAVE

Offline dan9125

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 01:53:03 PM »
I wonder if it was a DC-9?
 Do you live close to Rochester airport, it would be nice to have a live feed from there...hint hint

Dan

Offline EivlEvo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:02:43 PM »
Nah man... I live in Tonawanda, but I goto University of North Dakota @ Lumberton. I'll be @ the GFK campus for this upcoming fall semester and I'll be looking into throwing a feed up up there. But the traffic is pretty insane. Lots of student pilot ops and lots of bad wx. You know what im sayin... wink.

Glad I got my first ratings down here!

~DAVE

Offline Greg01

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 04:05:43 PM »
Lot of BUF guys here...i live in OP!

Greg

Offline dan9125

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:56:12 PM »
I keep hoping for a Rochester feed....i'm in Lockport.

Dan

Offline EivlEvo

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 11:54:58 PM »
Any of u KBUF guys pilots or no?

Im lookin for a new airplane to rent?

~DAVE

Offline RayZor

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 10:24:46 AM »
So what happened?  The aircraft began to roll and it sounds like they were performing a slip to keep it straight and level?

Offline dan9125

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 09:59:20 AM »
The aircraft landed safely and not much else was said over the air. The pilot wanted to get on the ground as quickly as possible though. Not sure how you find out what really happened unless you know some of the maintenance crew.

Dan

Offline Greg01

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 06:52:44 PM »
Eivl,

I'm a pilot. I fly out of 9G3 (Akron). It's a nice airport. Where do you fly out of right now?

Greg

Offline blizzard242

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 05:11:28 PM »
If you want to find out what happened you can allwase check in on NTSB and FAA incedent records on their web-site

Offline sky_diving_lover

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 12:52:17 PM »
So what happened?  The aircraft began to roll and it sounds like they were performing a slip to keep it straight and level?

It is a roll problem, and if we want to know the reason we must see the result of the problem, the pilot says he has to use his left AILERON and his Wright RUDDER and this is the procedure to maintain st & lvl when u have your Wright engine off during a flight, but since the pilot didn’t not say that he had an engine problem so I think it is one of tow problems,
1st it is a problem with one of the AILERONs because it a roll problem and what makes the plane rolls is the AILERONs so he is trying to correct his turn or roll but he couldn’t,
2ed is that one of the engines had a problem which is not that bad one that makes the engine under power, but if this choice was right, then why didn’t the pilot saw that on the engine instrument?

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 06:54:03 PM »
Any of u KBUF guys pilots or no?

Yep, I fly into BUF just about every Sunday night or Monday AM in a Bonanza, then back home every Thursday afternoon around 5:00p.   Probably do this for another year or so.

Im lookin for a new airplane to rent?

Got your high-performance, complex sign-off?  :)  Just kidding.   Insurance is already high enough without opening it up to renters.

Offline Greg01

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 07:19:46 PM »
What's your tail number, i probably hear you a lot!

Greg

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 08:30:39 PM »
What's your tail number, i probably hear you a lot!

Bonanza N2845W.   

Speaking of upstate NY, we all really need to recruit a Rochester, NY, feeder for here.  There is a lot of activity in that airspace as well.

Offline Greg01

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 09:20:16 PM »
hhhhhmmmm. 45W, come to think of it, that sounds very familiar! Did you fly in on Sunday?

The controllers can be interesting at ROC, too!

Greg

Offline XTSKid

• KSNA Feed
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 03:05:42 AM »

It is a roll problem, and if we want to know the reason we must see the result of the problem, the pilot says he has to use his left AILERON and his Wright RUDDER and this is the procedure to maintain st & lvl when u have your Wright engine off during a flight, but since the pilot didn’t not say that he had an engine problem so I think it is one of tow problems,
1st it is a problem with one of the AILERONs because it a roll problem and what makes the plane rolls is the AILERONs so he is trying to correct his turn or roll but he couldn’t,
2ed is that one of the engines had a problem which is not that bad one that makes the engine under power, but if this choice was right, then why didn’t the pilot saw that on the engine instrument?

I think all of this could be summed up in: The crew was dealing with a flight control issue.

Whether it was the ailerons, the elevator, the stabilizer, the flaps, the spoilers, the engines, the rudder or associated  actuators or sub-systems, we'll have to consult the pending NTSB report for that info :-D

Nice clip, thanks for posting!

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 02:52:28 PM »
hhhhhmmmm. 45W, come to think of it, that sounds very familiar! Did you fly in on Sunday?

Some weeks I will fly in around 10:30p on Sunday, as I find it less stressful and somewhat peaceful to fly in at night.  Also, there is less air and ground traffic at that time.

The controllers can be interesting at ROC, too!

Like Syracuse, I find the controllers at ROC to be very nice unless they are in a bad mood.  If there is one in a bad mood, then expect to hear or receive a terse tongue-lashing.   However, regarding  Buffalo ATC, I have yet to hear or experience a crabby controller, despite being the busiest of the three airspaces.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:54:28 PM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline Greg01

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 07:34:07 PM »
I've gotten a lashing from ROC with a CFI onboard. I missed an instruction and the handoff to the tower (both in the same transmission). This was while my CFI was explaining something to me. Needless to say, my CFI took care of the crabby controller!  ;)

BUF controllers are great, aren't they!

Greg

Offline EivlEvo

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 03:18:55 PM »
Hey Greg, I have been flying out of Akron all last summer, but I fly the warrior. I really just don't like the stupid nose strut on the thing and was just trying to see what else is out there. Did you happen to hear what happened to the plane at the end of this past summer? I heard that they blew the windshield out and cracked the prop?

I was hoping to have my instrument commercial multi rating by this summer, but its looking like the FAA doesn't want to be my friend so I have to push it back til next fall.

Anyways... nice to see all the Buf guys on here.

~DAVE

Offline Greg01

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 07:48:43 PM »
What's your last name. I work there, but i see so many Dave's that i can't remember them all (I'm sorry).

I know what you mean.

Greg