Author Topic: CYYZ - Toronto explosion as witnessed from Pearson tower  (Read 18997 times)

kea001

CYYZ - Toronto explosion as witnessed from Pearson tower
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:37:37 PM »
Propane facility next to Downsview Airport explodes. (there was no 'hotel on fire')

Canadian government regulations regarding these facilities seem to be sorely lacking.

When I was awoken by this thing, and I'm about 10 km. away, I thought it sounded like small arms fire like you
hear on news reports from Afghanistan. My next thought was an invasion from the US, but then I figured George Dubya
was in China and he'd probably want to be here for it. - (this is how your mind thinks at 4 a.m.) Hearing no sirens,
I went back to sleep.

(attachment modified; 16kBit/s., 11.025 kHz. mono)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:18:05 PM by kea001 »

Offline Acey

Re: CYYZ - Toronto explosion as witnessed from Pearson tower
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 09:53:25 PM »
You know you're a LiveATC junkie when.... upon first seeing this story I immediately wanted to hear the archived YYZ feed.

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:51:44 AM »
Great little clip, thanks for posting!

Just a little tip for the future though - When encoding the clip, use 32 or 64kbps instead of 128kbps...Helps keep the filesize well down without any noticeable drop in quality!

Thanks again though!

kea001

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:01:03 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  :wink:

Further developments -

"Bombardier Inc., which has its Toronto manufacturing facility in the area, advised its day-shift employees not to come in Monday morning.

A recorded message said the facility had sustained significant exterior damage and time was needed to clean up and make repairs, and directed workers scheduled on the afternoon shift to call back later.

No Bombardier employees were injured, the message said. "

Canadian Press

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:46:06 AM by kea001 »

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
Just a little tip for the future though - When encoding the clip, use 32 or 64kbps instead of 128kbps...Helps keep the filesize well down without any noticeable drop in quality!

Great tip but actually you can even (and should) drop the bitrate down to 16kbps, which is the bitrate with which the archive files are created.  Anything larger than that is a waste of file size and bandwidth (since MP3 compression is destructive, meaning that bits are permanently tossed out).

Offline Canadian eh

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 12:29:48 AM »
not sure but this might be the same incident

http://www.filecabi.net/video/036385855e45.html