Author Topic: Continental Aircraft Engine "Shatter" @ KEWR  (Read 18627 times)

Offline aevins

Continental Aircraft Engine "Shatter" @ KEWR
« on: March 20, 2007, 11:12:43 PM »
Did anyone catch on the KEWR feed, Continental flight 84, a Boeing 777, who expirienced an engine "shatter" during takeoff, around 5:10pm local time?

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkzJmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MDk2OTQwJnlyaXJ5N2Y3MTdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5Mg==

Offline ejauburn

Re: Continental Aircraft Engine "Shatter" @ KEWR
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:55:37 AM »
There she blows!!!!

Offline raogden

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 01:12:05 AM »
I tried to find this in the archives with no luck. I did hear COA84 Heavy get takeoff clearance on the 19th at 2110ish UTC, but he took off no problem and was handed to departure.

Offline mhawke

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 01:28:21 PM »
I found it in the archives, no time to shorten it up though since I am at work.  Anyone who is interested, it is in the 2030z-2100 archive for Newark on March 20th.  Starts at 20:50 into the archive.

Not a lot in there, they report engine failure, roll the trucks.  Then you hear passing plane report small flames from engine...then alot of chatter as tower redirects planes that were on final for that runway.

It was a contained engine failure.  The B777 engines have containment on them much like the newer Rolls Royce engines to prevent failures from breaching the fuselage or fuel tanks.

I can remeber awhile ago when a Fokker-100 had an turbine blade failure that cut through the fuselage killing some people.  For anybody who hasn't seen one, the Fokker-100 is similar to an Embraer where you can get the great rear window seat looking at the engine cowling.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
I can remeber awhile ago when a Fokker-100 had an turbine blade failure that cut through the fuselage killing some people. 

And who can forget the 1989 Sioux City, Iowa (USA) crash of the United DC-10 where a number two engine failure sent fan shrapnel slicing into the Achilles heal of the hydraulic system that caused both the primary and backup hydraulic systems to fail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 03:06:38 PM »
Funny thing is, at roughly the same time, AWE320 (A320) lost an engine departing KLAS for KMSP.

I don't know if the feed caught it, as they may have stayed with Tower through the whole trip. I'll go through the archives and see what I can find.

BL.

Offline mhawke

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 09:13:12 AM »
Okay, I edited the archive.  Here it is.  My first edit so be nice :-D

At the start you will here Continental 84 get cleared to the runway, engine failure shortly after that.  I tried to cut out some of the other talk but I left some in to show the scramble to realign the pattern once the runway closed.  It also has some talk between the plane and other planes looking for damage.

Offline stintdrum

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 12:58:23 PM »
hey good job mhawke. Controller was deadly, kept his cool well, issuing go arounds in that confined airspace must be a pain for sequencing.