Author Topic: Computersimulation C-5 Crash @Dover  (Read 23822 times)

Offline ChAsEr911

Computersimulation C-5 Crash @Dover
« on: August 16, 2006, 12:13:41 PM »
Hey,

maybe it's interesting.
With voice recorder, little hard to understand (for me  :-D ) but its there.
Maybe some native english speaker here can make a Transcript ?  ;)

http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e95784STtMjzHP

Sincerly
Peter

Offline KMSY

Re: Computersimulation C-5 Crash @Dover
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:52:24 PM »
Uh oh... there was a lengthy discussion on this over at jetcareers.com

Supposedly this was not supposed to be released to the public so early, but it was leaked...

Offline SoaringEagle5

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:33:23 PM »
"This video no longer exists"

Offline ChAsEr911

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:09:31 PM »
Indeed Uh oh...
Sorry i don't know that...  :cry:

Offline digger

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »
It was available earlier today.

I'd seen it a month or so ago, from a different site. Pretty interesting, to say the least. I'd bet it's still out there on the internet somewhere....

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 05:28:48 PM »
I'd bet it's still out there on the internet somewhere....

...and perhaps in someone's local Internet cache directory.   I would go looking through mine since I did view the video earlier today, but Firefox has a truly inferior cache browsing system than MSIE, IMO, that makes finding a file extremely difficult.

Offline knish1231

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
all these messages back and forth......but....

what was the video of?

Thanks,
Pete

Offline digger

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 09:32:48 PM »
It's an animation of the C-5 crash in Delaware. It shows the aircraft, and along the bottom and side of the screen, information such as angle of attack, airspeed, engine settings etc. That, and the CVR recording.

It's very clear what happened, in that the aircraft had one engine shut down, and the pilots selcted too much flap, and chose the visual approach rather than the ILS. That let them get too low, and when the pilot flying failed to throttle up one of the engines--confusion over which engine was shut down, and which were still functional--the two engines running at full power didn't have enough thrust to reach the runway. The aircraft stalled, landing in an open field short of the runway, and broke up.

It's weird to hear the pilot saying, "Guys, I'm getting concerned here. We've got nothin left..." and then the anunciators warning of ground proximity, and "don't sink, don't sink, don't sink" follwed by "stall, stall, stall..."   :-o

Offline flygirl

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 10:02:19 PM »
Here's the info I have:

"Plz. note that a good engine, #3, has inadvertently been placed in idle.  No one, (the left seater is the Wing Standardization/Evaluation officer and the right seater is a C-5 designated instructor pilot, and the flight engineer) notices this 'little' error.  Additionally, full flaps is against the procedures for an engine out heavy weight landing.  One engine (#2) was shut down due to a thrust reverser unlatched light and the crew is attempting to return to the field for a (very) heavy weight landing.   Note that # 2 is  at zero thrust but its  throttle position is full forward  (pilot thinks  this engine is working,  while the throttle is in flight idle on  # 3  - a good engine).

Thus they have only two engines available for the approach at a very heavy weight and incorrectly chose full flaps. They assume, but do not verify, that they have three engines (of course no yaw is present).  At that point, drag exceeded thrust and the premature ground contact is assured..

It was day time with excellent weather.  They never brought the good  engine, # 3, out of idle.  All flight crew members on the flight deck never noticed a good engine in idle."

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 12:14:17 PM »
I have a copy of the high-res version of this video, which is roughly 7MB.  Could anyone recommend a good, free file hosting site that is not completely covered with banner and pop-up ads?

And no, I have absolutely nothing to do with the Air Force or this investigation. 

Offline digger

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 12:58:17 PM »
Could anyone recommend a good, free file hosting site that is not completely covered with banner and pop-up ads?

Is there such a thing? Maybe Santa Claus knows of one...     :-)

I'm certainly not an expert, but my impression is that really interesting stuff like that gets taken down because as soon as it's linked from someplace like this, it's downloaded a gazillion times, and the bandwidth allocated gets exceeded pretty quickly. (Or, in this case, it might be the guys in the black helicopters making it disappear...)    :-o

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »
On second thought and upon review of the high resolution video, I just discovered the pretty stern warning at the end of it that prevents its distribution.  :(

It won't be me that uploads it to any of the free hosting sites.

Offline RatOmeter

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 03:24:33 PM »
It's available on YouTube at: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-vzDV88FsRU