airtraffic

Author Topic: Cockpit video of near miss caused by ATC error  (Read 21545 times)

Offline Panop

Cockpit video of near miss caused by ATC error
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
Apologies if this is old news but I find this impressive. 

Two F-16s (according to some of the comments that seem reasonably authoritive) almost come together on short finals - Tower says, "Sorry about that!" - pilot says, "(expletives)"!

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
Re: Cockpit video of near miss caused by ATC error
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:55:30 PM »
Ahh, the dreaded mid-wing vs mid-wing on final.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 04:42:14 PM by Biff »

nar1224

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:43:32 PM »
I'll bet he was even more sorry once that pilot got on the ground!

Offline NickBartolotta

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 07:42:41 AM »
Was this really a near-miss or did the crew mistake their shadow as another aircraft? There are several comments indicating that on the Youtube video but I'm not quite sure.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:07:12 AM »
At 0:43, you can clearly see what looks to be an F-16 just under them.  And they asked "Who was that on final for the right?"  And the tower said "sorry about that sir"

That sucks to have a near mid-air, go around and immediately go bingo fuel.

Offline doriangray001

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's a shadow and not another aircraft. I may be wrong but that looks like a thermal display and if it is an aircraft would have shown up much ligher. Besides there's no way another aircraft would've flown right under him.

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
He's about 170ft off the ground, that's awfully big to be a shadow.  Plus the 'shadow' is much wider than the runway.   And the other aircraft didn't fly under him, he turned in over it.

But then again, at 170ft it's scary to think that anyone would be lower than him.  And that object lacks any detail, so it sure does look like a shadow.

So I'm not sure what to think here.

Offline scottskywalker

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »
Hey guys... Uh, Aircraft is an F-15 HUD View, and the aircraft who came into screen was a F-111. You can tell by the wing shape....

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »
Besides, if there was no other aircraft there, why would the tower subsequently apologize? (You can clearly hear the tower say sorry about that, to which the pilot responds with an emphatic "SORRY ABOUT THAT?!?!?")

Offline busy

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »

That sucks to have a near mid-air, go around and immediately go bingo fuel.

And what is "bingo fuel"?
thanks

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 03:25:28 PM »
And what is "bingo fuel"?

When the fuel used is about to dip into required reserves. 

For example, a flight is planned to use 4 hours of fuel from departure to destination plus alternate landing airport, therefore 5 hours of fuel is loaded onto the aircraft.  This extra hour of fuel is considered reserve fuel.   Bingo fuel (which I believe originated in the military and to some degree has been unofficially carried over to civil aviation)  implies that all four hours of fuel have been used up and the aircraft is now about to draw from that one hour of reserve (as per my example).

From what I have read the military and perhaps even commercial civilian airline operators are VERY strict (perhaps even restrictive) about using reserve fuel.

xprtmarksman

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »
As the poster of this video, and most of you other guys who commented knows, this was definitely a near mid-air.  During air traffic school our instructor showed us this video and he told us it was a trainee in position with a monitor obviously not paying attention.  Don't know if all of my details are correct but definitely an ATC error.  I was taught to never say "sorry" over the frequency, but when you mess up that bad what else can you say to a guy you almost killed. :-o

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 10:35:33 PM »
I was taught to never say "sorry" over the frequency, but when you mess up that bad what else can you say to a guy you almost killed. :-o

"Whoops...That's my bad!"

Offline CntrllrATC

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
That was definately an F-16 that flew above them.....the backseater even mentions "You don't want to know what I saw"....and I be it wasn't just a shadow either....lol. He probably had the tire make and size imprinted on his retinas.